Using one application as CMS for all of your customers

Ravani

At the moment I am busy with two of my business partners with programming a CMS application with the Zend Framework. Despite thinking a lot about the development of the application I was having my doubts about the performance of it in future.

The thing is that we want to have one CMS application hosted on our webserver and this will be used by all of our customers. Inside the application we can add customers and the application will then check which domain has requested the application so the information and pages of that domain will be showed to the visitor.

This all sounds possible and we know how to create this application, but I wanted to know if there are any disadvantages that we didn't think about?

The reason why we don't have a CMS system for each of our customer is because we want to be able to keep everything in control and this way its easier for us to upgrade the system.

It does sound to me like you might be heading slightly down the wrong path.

I myself have an application shared by many users. However, each user has there own apache vhost configured, they have there own document root, apache logs, mysql database and application configurations.

It works something like so....

The framework (in your case Zend though we found it much too slow and developed our own) lives in....

/usr/share/php/Zend

The application libraries (models, controllers) live in

/usr/share/php/AppName

And the client specific code lives within.....

/var/www/site/<domainname>

Each client may have code specific to them, and the include path should be set accordingly. eg; include /var/www/site/<domainname>/libs before /usr/share/php/AppName before

/usr/share/php/Zend

This setup would allow for finer grained control over the application configurations and can also allow for more prominent clients to be moved to other servers (for example) without too much trouble.

Currently I (we) run a CMS application with almost 900 clients using this same method and are working on another (similar) application at present.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.