Web 2.0 is too early!

extrovertive

What's this Web 2.0 stuff?

All it is, is pretty much - making your website "cool" right? When PHP and ASP were becoming popular replacing PERL as a web application langauge, they weren't called web 2.0

AJAX is pretty much some Javascript technique. How come ASP.NET is not Web 2.0 stuff since it's a better ASP?

Programmer seem to think just because they know the syntax of Ruby/on Rails, AJAX, XML/XSL/XSD, etc, they are Web 2.0 material. Web 3.0 will most likely be a combinations of using new web languages. Same ol' same ol'

It's too early for all those technical jargon to be called Web 2.0

Until web developers incorporates stuff like Text Mining for extracting truly semantic content on the web, natural language processing for translation of any langauge, Neural-network for e-commerce data analysis, Advanced Artificial Intelligence for Expert-system bot, Quantum Computing, Biometrics (thumbprint recogntion, odor recognition, face recogntion, voice recogntion, and signature recognition for user-authentication), speech-to-text commmands for surfing the web, and other advanced computer science topics in an online system, then I would called it Web 2.0!

Then you can call that web 5.0... Or call this web 1.5. Who cares... It's just some hypeterm someone thought up. The internet doesn't come in versions, don't pay attention to the idiots. The person who thought of it is probably laughing his *** off that people actually adopted this term.

This is making me go into "grumpy old man mode". Please don't actually make a discussion out of what number should be assigned to a selection of laguages and techinques. It's not worth the keypresses.

I'm going to jump on the "grumpy old man" bandwagon, except branch off into "grumpy eighteen-year-olds". Terms like "Web 2.0" frustrate me to no end and bring my heart to near exhaustion. I find myself having to go take a walk after reading something like that, or I might find myself turning green and bursting shirt buttons. Damn. There is no such thing as "Web 2.0".

It's times like these that I find myself wanting to say a really bad word. Really loud. But there isn't a word bad enough, and I can't yell that loud.

[quote author=FrOzeN link=topic=109270.msg441431#msg441431 date=1159235637]
Web 2.0 is more of a metaphor to represent that the internet is being updated. Not ment to mean that a new version has been released or anything.
[/quote]

Really? I thought Microsoft was issuing a new version every once in a while...

:P

No. Unless we're talking about a different use of the word "version", there are no versions of the internet. The internet is defined as the computers connected throughout the world. Just because something changes and it's not the same as before, it's a new version? No. Software has versions, hardware has versions. Ideas do not have versions.

Web 2.0 is a stupid buzzword that was invented and used to describe the current movement from one set of technologies to another, or the spreading and deprecation of certain technologies. If we were to give the "Web" version numbers every time a new technology gained popularity or another was deprecated, then we'd have to have a version for the "transition" from being a network of university and government servers to becoming the world-wide network it is today. We'd need another one for the "transition" from simple, text based informative white pages to the pretty, graphical, user-friendly place we're used to. And those are really the only two major transformations the "web" has been through that I can think of. And then imagine what it would start to look like if we had major and minor revisions.

I need a nap.

[quote author=neylitalo link=topic=109270.msg441573#msg441573 date=1159265549]
No. Unless we're talking about a different use of the word "version", there are no versions of the internet. The internet is defined as the computers connected throughout the world. Just because something changes and it's not the same as before, it's a new version? No. Software has versions, hardware has versions. Ideas do not have versions.

Web 2.0 is a stupid buzzword that was invented and used to describe the current movement from one set of technologies to another, or the spreading and deprecation of certain technologies. If we were to give the "Web" version numbers every time a new technology gained popularity or another was deprecated, then we'd have to have a version for the "transition" from being a network of university and government servers to becoming the world-wide network it is today. We'd need another one for the "transition" from simple, text based informative white pages to the pretty, graphical, user-friendly place we're used to. And those are really the only two major transformations the "web" has been through that I can think of. And then imagine what it would start to look like if we had major and minor revisions.

I need a nap.
[/quote]

LOL... Then I guess we're somewhere between 1.5.0.9.7.5b rev. 2 and 3.2.5.7.1 build 582..... Whahahaahaha....  ;D

This is soooooo pointless. I feel sad...  :'(

it's absolutely amazing how a buzzword like [i]Web 2.0[/i] with absolutely no concrete defenition can create so much hype and frustration at the same time. as was mentioned before, there is no such thing as [i]versioning[/i] the internet. there is no way you can, or else you're going to put millions, if not billions of websites out of compatability since they're not compliant. think about windows versions: with every upgrade, there are software upgrades or incompatabilities you've got to deal with on your machine. when's the last time you were [b]required[/b] to update your site to get it to work with the new version of the internet??? lol... that just makes me laugh thinking about it. i mean, i get paid to make websites backward compatable with old browsers almost as much as the other way around.

grant it, there is some substance to the concept of Web 2.0 when it comes to the [i]looks[/i] of websites. most of the sites that are branded with Web 2.0 have a very similar "feel" to them, but this again is very subjective. as was discussed in another thread, AJAX ideas of client side requests have been around since at least 2002, so there is nothing new in concept of user experience with these websites, it's simply the concept that someone had to market it :P

ok, i'll get out of my "grumpy old man" mode now, too lol.

[quote author=Daniel0 link=topic=109270.msg441692#msg441692 date=1159280887]
I just said that if anything would be "Web 2.0" it would be if how the internet works is changed. I never said it will/can/did.
[/quote]
nobody said you did... we're just addressing general principles :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.