Googlebot, and the like?

FrOzeN

I've noticed on some forums, with online users it has a specific one for "GoogleBot".

I was thinking of implementing something like this, but maybe to also include some other main ones for yahoo and msn. I figured that this can be determined with $_SERVER["HTTP_AGENT"], but that can also be easily spoofed.

My other thought is that maybe they have a range of IP's which could be matched against on top of $_SERVER["HTTP_AGENT"] for a better/more assumed verification of it being real.

Any suggests for creating something like this? Or anyone know a little of IP's (or just ranges) which these bots use, and what bots they're from?

There isn't a 100% reliable way. HTTP_USER_AGENT and HTTP_HOST are your best bets, but again, they are not 100% reliable.

Also note if you are intending on supplying different content to googlebot than you do for normal users, if found out you will receive automatic -1 google rank.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.