php forum

ok, i'm completley new to php, but have used dreamweaver for several months for html pages. i know you use php to build a forum, so does anybody know how to build a simple bb code php forum in dreamweaver? something like a scaled down version of this forum is what i'm aiming for.

ok, i'm completley new to php, but have used dreamweaver for several months for html pages.  i know you use php to build a forum, so does anybody know how to build a simple bb code php forum in dreamweaver?  something like a scaled down version of this forum is what i'm aiming for.

212043[/snapback]

I dont think there is such as a simple forum script. Why not download something like phpBB, IVB or vBulletin. Then you could edit it.

Also you can't rely on Dreramweaver to do the coding in WYSIWYG mode (Design Mode) like you can with HTML. You'll have to 99% of the time hand code it yourself.

Just learn PHP and you'll be fine, just gather and study code snipts you find in tutorials and at http://php.net, thats how I've learnt PHP. Also going to the local book shop / library and reading a couple of books on PHP will also help too.

One important aspect of learning PHP is to install Apache and PHP on your local comuter to run your PHP scripts offline, instead of uploading your scripts to server on the net, just test them locally. Easy fast ansd simple.

• 4 weeks later...

I learned the hard way that you can't use DW to edit phpBB styles. Even if you just change a comment line, undo the change, and upload it, the formatting will be all screwed up. Using a simple freebie code editor works just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Also you can't rely on Dreramweaver to do the coding in WYSIWYG mode (Design Mode) like you can with HTML. You'll have to 99% of the time hand code it yourself.

Just learn PHP and you'll be fine, just gather and study code snipts you find in tutorials and at http://php.net, thats how I've learnt PHP. Also going to the local book shop / library and reading a couple of books on PHP will also help too.

One important aspect of learning PHP is to install Apache and PHP on your local comuter to run your PHP scripts offline, instead of uploading your scripts to server on the net, just test them locally. Easy fast ansd simple.

212705[/snapback]

Wow, I never knew it was possible to run PHP scripts offline. How do you install PHP and Apache on your computer?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.