discussion board:S

Ninjakreborn

I need help with a discussion board, I started building almost everything from scratch, but even the person who taught me this said that was an exception even with him.  I don't think phpbb or something similar will help me with this, I have to have like a multi-board.  Ok here is hte thing.
www.thecampussource.com here there is a place for discussions for each school, easy a's and hard classes.  A discussion board sort of like what is found at www.thecraigslist.com
I need to be able to have it different for each school, like upenn would have 2 boards, one for a's and one for tough classes, and have them each be different for each school.  Right now I have restrictions, if you sign up under one school, you are restricted a lot to doing things for only that one school, it has to be that way for the discussion board, you have to be within that school, to use that forum.

I'm really going to have to put my code online...
set up a database with these tables:

forums
topics
In forums put:

title
id

in topics put:

title
description
id

in posts put:

user_id
title
subject
id

Now use an admin section to add to the forums table (or do it in PHPmyAdmin if it's easier). Then using the admin section and the ID field from the forums table, add topics (if you'd like to) and then using the membership database (which i presume you have) and the id from the topic, add posts... that should keep your integrity.

The rest is pretty much fluff.

what about tyring to install some mods to the phpbb like simple sub forums by which you will create a forum for each school and it will have same subforums but they will belong to that school. It's easy to moderate with group permissions too. You could add something while registering choosing their school and class and according to that, you can sign them to groups which will allow them to enter that forums.

IMHO - You do not want to use PHPBB. Especially for something you are going to want to have up and running and be able to intgrate with your existing content.

Not to mention it is one of the easiest (if not most commonly) hacked bb out there.

I'd take the obvious route that phpfreaks has gone and check out the simplemachines forum. These guys have been down this road before and we have all seen the down time caused by idiots with nothing better to do than hack someones forum.

well there are lots of mods preventing to be hacked. Cracker Tracker, phpBB Security and most of them prevent them to be hacked easily. A good hacker will not waste his time on cracking your board which will take more then 5 mins. And also for a script kiddie will get hard and hard on cracking a board installed with these mods (like phpbb security changes admin prefix and adds a .htacces restiriction to admin folder it adds a totaly new password to crack)

Well but yes if you have an existing board running, you will encounter a lots of problems on passing it to phpbb. even it has some issues with passing from one phpbb to another too.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.