Modification on Query Statement...

thepip3r

PHP 5, MySQL 4.?

I've written a site that tracks weekly technician information.  It's a simple but effective site.  The meat of the site is managed by three tables; ids, users, jobs.  When a new job is entered, if multiple technicians work on the job, multiple records are entered into the "ids" table something like, jobID 1, userID 35, userID 50.  So right now the way I query for information is to select all jobs for a specific timeframe (specified by the user-formed query) and that grabs all the jobs in a given unix timestamp range.  After that, I run those through a loop to grab all of the users who may have worked on those jobs to display on the search-results page.

My problem lies with growth.  It's not a problem now but I can see it being a problem in the future.  Information is organized by office name and a couple of other offices besides mine have requested to use it.  That's fine except the problem is that when a job timeframe is queried for, all of the users' jobs from all offices are being looped through to find users from the appropriate office showing the right information.  I CAN do it with complex joins (SELECT * FROM ids RIGHT JOIN users ON users.id=ids.userID RIGHT JOIN jobs.id=ids.jobID WHERE users.officeName='Variable')  The only problem with this is that I get multiple records returned for the same job when multiple users work on that job.  Does anyone know a better way to do it other than that?  If that's the best way, my quandry is finding and efficient way to take the duplicate user information for the same jobs associated in some way so I can present that information to the user in a quasi-readable format.  Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Well I tried the GROUP BY clause using this:

SELECT * FROM ids RIGHT JOIN user ON user.id=ids.userID RIGHT JOIN jobs ON jobs.id=ids.jobID WHERE user.officeSymbol='SCBNA' AND jobs.entryDate>='1158537600' AND jobs.entryDate<='2159228800' GROUP BY jobs.id LIMIT 173, 30 

and the problem is that it didn't display each user per job, it only displays the last user.  i need to know ALL users who worked on the job...

here is the dump of my mysql tables:

CREATE TABLE ids (
  id int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  jobID int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  userID int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (id)
) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;
# --------------------------------------------------------

#
# Table structure for table `jobs`
#

CREATE TABLE jobs (
  title varchar(75) NOT NULL default '',
  category varchar(22) NOT NULL default '',
  entryDate varchar(20) NOT NULL default '',
  description text NOT NULL,
  duration int(11) NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (id)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;
# --------------------------------------------------------

#
# Table structure for table `user`
#

CREATE TABLE `user` (
  username varchar(75) NOT NULL default '',
  rank varchar(5) NOT NULL default '',
  fname varchar(20) NOT NULL default '',
  lname varchar(20) NOT NULL default '',
  base varchar(20) NOT NULL default '',
  organization varchar(10) NOT NULL default '',
  officeSymbol varchar(20) NOT NULL default '',
  firstAccessDate varchar(30) NOT NULL default '',
  active tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '1',
  admin tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (id)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.