dynamically adding links to content

pgsjoe

this could be a waste of time and I apologize if it's already common knowledge. I was hoping there was a function that would make it as simple as:
* scanning a field
* if http://, www, or @ exist to turn the surrounding into a link

Tried searching on google as well as the forums, but could not figure out the correct terms to search on. Does this function exist, if so, where...oh where do I find it?!

If someone enters in a paragraph of text with two or three links, as well as an e-mail address on my form and into the SQL database; in straight text format, no html on it whatsoever. Is there a function that I can use to scan the text and if anything is suppose to be a link, then to turn it into a link.

Something like....

[code]if (www) {
    $linktext = take remainder of text through ".com" (or whatever extension) to to the next space;
    echo '<a href="' . $linktext . '" target="_blank">' . $linktext . '</a> ';
    }

if (@) {
    $emailtext = read text before @ symbol to a space, read text after @ symbol through next space.
    echo '<a href="mailto:' . $emailtext . '">' . $emailtext . '</a>';
    }[/code]

And the same for http://

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.