Mail Clients

esahp

[quote author=ober link=topic=109478.msg441437#msg441437 date=1159236457]
Outlook.  (I know... groan, right?)  All you MS haters, jump into the thread now!  I've been using it for years and every company I've ever worked for used it and it's honestly a great tool.
[/quote]

Yes, it is. It's very powerful, has excellent Exchange support (really?), and is by far one of Microsoft's best products. However, it's just too unstable running it under wine/crossover/cedega for me to pay the price for it. I can't depend on Windows for actual work... I've had too many problems with it. Poor luck, maybe.

Umm... I have outlook setup on my laptop, my home PC and my work PC... I get all the mail at all 3 of them and I can check my webmail from other computers.  There's an option you can check to leave the messages on the server when your client checks in.

[quote author=ober link=topic=109478.msg441849#msg441849 date=1159291160]
Umm... I have outlook setup on my laptop, my home PC and my work PC... I get all the mail at all 3 of them and I can check my webmail from other computers.  There's an option you can check to leave the messages on the server when your client checks in.
[/quote]

And there's always IMAP or MS Exchange. After using those exclusively for a while now, I've gradually gotten more and more tired of Gmail that I abandoned it altogether. That and I don't like some of Google's business practices.

Mostly with their AdSense program. (do they do any other kind of business?) Look here: https://www.google.com/adsense/policies?hl=en_US

Notice the "Prohibited Clicks and Impressions" section: [quote]Any method that artificially generates clicks or impressions is strictly prohibited. These prohibited methods include but are not limited to: repeated manual clicks or impressions[/quote]
Notice the "Incentives" section: [quote]For example, your site cannot contain phrases such as "click here," "support us," "visit these links," or other similar language that could apply to any ad, regardless of content.[/quote]
Notice the "Site Content" section. This in the list of things the site may not include: [quote]Excessive, repetitive, or irrelevant keywords in the content or code of web pages[/quote]
In the "Site Functionality" section: [quote]Your site must not contain broken links and must be launched, functioning, and easily navigable.[/quote]
In the "Site Responsiveness" section: [quote]Sites must respond adequately to support requests and enquiries of their users.[/quote]

I think, though, that the majority of those terms are somewhat reasonable, with the exception of "No repeated manual clicks." That one, right there, gives them an escape route the size of US-2. However, when they wait until you rack up a $100 balance (the minimum for payment, I believe) and THEN inform you that your site was in violation of their TOS, void payment, and disqualify you from future AdSense programs, I start to get a little upset. They don't just void those illegal clicks, or give you a chance to fix the problem. They leave no room for argument or grievance claims, it's wham-bam, you're toast. And they got $100 worth of advertising, completely free.

See http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2683676.html for more stories of the same.

[quote author=ober link=topic=109478.msg441941#msg441941 date=1159300347]
Wow.. I guess customer service isn't their forte... although, with as big as they are and as much money as they make, I'm sure they can afford to piss off a few customers.
[/quote]

Yup... unfortunately, there's not really anything we can do, seeing as they control so much stuff.

If Google and Wal*Mart ever merge or anything, the world is toast.

• 2 weeks later...
Being the fickle guy I am, I decided I didn't want to put up with the long KDE compile times and switched to xfce4, a desktop manager that's lightweight, powerful, and actually looks really good. However, one of the nasty side-effects is that I can't run Kmail without KDE. Technically, I could, but it would be more headaches than its worth, so we'll pretend that it's not possible. So, in the interim, I'm using Thunderbird, but as I said before, it's a bit heavy and it has one particular quirk that's really detrimental - it doesn't show you that you have new mail in folders outside of the inbox until you navigate to that folder. I really like Thunderbird, but it's that one "feature" that I really can't live with. Hopefully it's fixed in 2.0, but for now, I need a replacement.

Now, what I'm looking for is as follows: An email client that supports IMAP and cached (disconnected) IMAP, SSL and TLS, and preferably has an address book built into it. If you've got a favorite email client that you'd like to share, please do - I'm starting to get really fed up with Thunderbird.

[quote author=Daniel0 link=topic=109478.msg449094#msg449094 date=1160372450]
Yeah you can, well Gnome can at least run KDE's applications, I don't know about xfce.
[/quote]

Right, that's why I said

[quote author=neylitalo link=topic=109478.msg449058#msg449058 date=1160357254]
... Technically, I could, but it would be more headaches than its worth, so we'll pretend that it's not possible. [/quote]

;)

I don't want to use the KDE libraries, or use any KDE services. It just seems kind of messy, and I'm not sure what the overhead of running a KDE program outside of KDE would be. I prefer to not have a mix-and-match environment, if I can avoid it.

However, upon suggestion from a user in #gentoo, I've started to use sylpheed-claws, and it's exactly what I'm looking for. It's completely desktop-manager independent, and has all the features that I love from Thunderbird with none of the quirks. It's also very lightweight and has a multitude of plugins, although nowhere near the amount built for Thunderbird.

If anybody's interested in giving it a shot, you can go to www.sylpheed-claws.net, or if you're using Gentoo, emerge sylpheed-claws. I'm sure it's in the Debian/Ubuntu repositories, as well, but can't vouch for it.

Side note: They have a Win32 build, so Windows users can give it a try if they're feeling particularly adventurous.

Getting back to the original question ... :)

I use Outlook at work, since that is dictated by coporate policy. I use Eudora on my laptop for most of my personal email. I also use GMail and have accounts at Hotmail, AOL, and Yahoo. The reason I have these accounts is that I run a number of mailling lists and I need to know how to help people on the lists when they have problems with the specific client they use. Other clients I've used mail, mailx, Pine (in the Unix world),  Horde (webmail), VMSmail.

Ken

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.