A better way to search?

K_N

Right now I'm using a query like

SELECT * FROM `table` WHERE title LIKE '" .$searchterms. "' ORDER BY id"

but this only returns exact results in most experiences. I need to be able to say, have "This is something to search for" in the database, and have the search return it in the results even if I just searched for "This is" or "This is something" or "Something to".

(Obviously I'm going to filter out common words in the PHP later on, I just need the right SQL syntax right now)

What else can I use to search?

SELECT * FROM `table` WHERE MATCH `title` AGAINST('{$searchterms}' IN BOOLEAN MODE) ORDER BY id asc

You should ALWAYS look to MATCH AGAINST for your queries to start with, if you cant do it with that use other query types

If you have an immense database like me, create an inverted index that way your only searching the word and not the whole document, and its SUPER effective

SELECT * FROM `table` WHERE MATCH `title` AGAINST('{$searchterms}' IN BOOLEAN MODE) ORDER BY id asc

You should ALWAYS look to MATCH AGAINST for your queries to start with, if you cant do it with that use other query types

If you have an immense database like me, create an inverted index that way your only searching the word and not the whole document, and its SUPER effective

Ahh, thank you.

This database only has about 10k entries, is that something I should use an inverted index for?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.