Problems...

duncanhall

After toying with my first bit of AJAX yesterday, I managed to accomplish what I intended and was pleased with my results. I uploaded everything to my testing server and everything was working fine.

I then got home and tried to view the live example on my home PC, and all AJAX functionality had disappeared. I downloaded all neccessary files and scripts and battled for hours trying to get it to to work locally, but to no avail. I tried taking everything back to absolute basics and I still could not produce any results.
I then come back to work this morning, and lo and behold, the live example is working fine, exactly as I left it.

Does anyone know of any reasons why my home PC would fail to respond to all AJAX scripts, local or on the net? This is really puzzling me.

Haha, give me some credit!  :)

Yes, I checked everything, could not see anything that gave any inclination as to what was wrong.

I took everything back to absolute basics so I had 1 html file, 1 js file and 1 php file. The html file simply called the sendRequest function, the js file instantiated the XMLHttp Object, opened the php file and handled the repsonse. The php file simply echoed a string.
I tested it with the firebug plugin, and the html link successfully called sendRequest. Firebug showed me that the php string was returned to the javascript, but it simply wouldnt appear on the page.  I spent hours pouring over the js, in particular the handleResponse function as it seemed to me that this is where the problem was, but still nothing.
And the example I have on my live server works fine from here, and another PC ive tested it on, but not on my home PC.

Is there anything, [b]anything[/b] you can think of that might be preventing it from working?

Sorry... it's hard to tell experience across the net, and since you didn't mention it, I had to ask.

The only other thing I can suggest is to update your browser at home.  If you're like me, your work PC is more up to date than your home PC.  Maybe something is hosed in the handling of the httprequest object on your browser at home.

Who knows.

Again, thanks for the repsonse. I have narrowed this down to a Firefox problem as I can see everything working in IE from my home PC but not Firefox. Interestingly, i've recently noticed a problem in hotmail when using firefox from my home PC. When viewing the main inbox, the set of js buttons running along the top (new, delete, junk etc.) dont seem to produce any results. The cursor changes to the pointer as expected, but nothing happens. Im thinking these two things are related, but don't know what the problem is.

Any ideas?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.