XSS

RON_ron

I googled to findout about preventing xss attacks. I came across the following script.

<?php

$new = htmlspecialchars("<a href='test'>Test</a>", ENT_QUOTES);

echo $new;

?>

My question is, how / where should I include this piece of code? Should I just add this in to all my php files that allows user inputs? Will that work?

If I'm allowing users with 10 input fields should I require the $new repeated 10 times ($input1, $input2, $input3.....)?

You should learn more about XSS and htmlentities (which is better than htmlspecialchars) before trying to guess what you should do and where you should do it.

In general, to prevent various injections:

- Do not alter form values with code like

$_POST["value"] = htmlentities($_POST["value"]);

(where you lose the old value and replace it with a "safe" version)

- Use mysql_real_escape_string at the moment you put a value into a SQL query. Not before then*. Even better: use parameterized queries instead.

- Use htmlentities or htmlspecialchars at the moment you put a value into your HTML. Not before then*.

* Unless you're setting aside a special variable that is used for, and only for, your query/HTML.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.