Echo .= on var error unless I declare it as "" first ?

OldWest

I am running through a tutorial and I am getting an error based on a the concatication operator on my output. Below is my code.

As you can see I am echoing $display_block .= "<p>$title<br>$rec_label<br>....

If I send this as-is I get this error: Notice: Undefined variable: display_block in C:\wamp\www\php\php_mysql\sel_byid.php on line 36

I can resolve the error by placing this before the while loop: $display_block = "";

Is there a better way to output the concatenation.= so I don't need to do this weird fix?

while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
	$id = $row['id'];
	$format = $row['format'];
	$title = stripslashes($row['title']);
	$artist_fn = stripslashes($row['artist_fn']);
	$artist_ln = stripslashes($row['artist_ln']);
	$rec_label = stripslashes($row['rec_label']);
	$my_notes = stripslashes($row['my_notes']);
	$date_acq = $row['date_acq'];

if ($artist_fn != "")
	{
		$artist_fullname = trim("$artist_fn $artist_ln");
	}
	else
	{
		$artist_fullname = trim("$artist_ln");
	}

if ($date_acq == "0000-00-00")
	{
		$date_acq = "[unknown]";
	}

$display_block .= "<p>$title<br>$rec_label<br>$artist_fullname<br>$my_notes<br>$date_acq<br>$format</p>";

There's nothing weird about declaring a variable before you reference it.

I have always wondered why this is. PHP is my first and only programming language, so I am pretty green when it comes to programming patterns, standards and other best practice type stuff. So could you explain why

$somevar = 'foo';

will throw a Notice, but

$somevar = '';
$somevar = 'foo'; 

will be accepted.

I guess I am not clear on why setting the var to an empty string first is any different than setting it to an actual value.

Thanks,

nate

Ohhhh.. ok.. that makes sense... can't concatenate to a var that don't exist.

I have always heard that it is "good coding" to declare a var before you assign a value to it. I thought I had gotten notices for this crap before.... must have been some other stupid mistake :)

Thanks,

nate

It just seems ultra redundant.

If you look at my last post...  your trying to concatenate to a variable that does not exist on the first time round. Programming logic needs to have a variable declared before it can reference it.

You can't really do $x + $y if $x does not exist. Any programming language will have an issue trying to use something that is not declared.

It just seems ultra redundant.

If you look at my last post...  your trying to concatenate to a variable that does not exist on the first time round. Programming logic needs to have a variable declared before it can reference it.

You can't really do $x + $y if $x does not exist. Any programming language will have an issue trying to use something that is not declared.

I get it. It just feels unnatural  to create an empty value for that reason. It would be nice if there was a specialized character for loop structure concatenation like: =.=  or something that was used specifically for this type of thing, just to at least cut down on the extra code. IMHO.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.