Which PHP-Editor do you think is the best?

briananderson

Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?  

372 members have voted

1. 1. Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?

• Dreamweaver
    • Maguma
    • Komodo
    • PHP Designer
    • Eclipse
    • Homesite
    • PHPEdit
    • Quanta Plus
    • Vim
    • BBEdit
    • Zend Studio
    • Other
    • Notepad++
    • HTML Kit
    • Netbeans

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

For ALL MAC USERS!!!

Coda is the BEST text-editor I've found.

Google it, and find out why.

I tried Coda a few weeks ago, then went back to TextMate pretty quickly. TextMate just seems to suit me better.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i started with Dreamweaver and the only thing i hate about it is the ancient api as far as autocompleting, function arg hinting and function coloring.  yes, it can be customized, but it takes up too much time and i haven't gotten around to trying to do something about it yet :)

recently I've been playing around with nusphere phped and it definitely has some more professional and powerful tools (like integrated validator, csv, debugging options, not to mention the up-to-date api) and I love having multiple projects per workspace so I can easily switch between the htdocs/public/www (whatever you wanna call it) folder and the "out of public reach" folder.

BUT, i just find dreamweaver a lot easier and more comfortable to use for the HTML + CSS stuff (nusphere's approach, despite the feature list pimping all of its HTML capabilities, still hasn't clicked with me)

and i've tried PHPEditor in the past but stopped when I installed Dreamweaver :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

is php zend available on the mac cos if its not theres no point cos web development lamp is made for deving on macs mariage made in heaven

Assuming you mean Zend Studio, then yes, it is available for Mac OS X. Due to poor grammar I wasn't able to understand the second part of the sentence.

I think he's claiming a "mac" is a superior platform for Web development. In other words, talking gibberish.

im not sugesting, im proof that a mac is the best environment for web development with lamp, they recently made this new function u just highligfht the file and press space bar and it opens in in a text editor that is super fast to open instant and u click away from it it closes and saves, if u wack ur mouse into the corner all the windows are nicley tiles and then u click one and it comes to the front, MAC and Firefox are superior environments for web development using any editor. The mac environment in terms of usability is light years ahead of windows, windows just has 1 and only 1 thing which is the right drag drop menu that is superior. textboxes on a mac in any application system or web are automaticaly spell checked. its soo good i dont even biother using it, this box right here is spell checked i know exactly where my mistakes are i just dnt bother. I used windows for years and i still love it at home i use windows connected to my xbox 360 and 4 other windows machines in the house all networked and fire walled with zone alarm, i am a fan of windows, but u cant escape the fact that i been using mac for 2 years now at work and it is so much easier to use for this work compared to trying to do the same stuff at home on my pc windows both using dreamweaver.

I think he's claiming a "mac" is a superior platform for Web development. In other words, talking gibberish.

im not sugesting, im proof that a mac is the best environment for web development with lamp, they recently made this new function u just highligfht the file and press space bar and it opens in in a text editor that is super fast to open instant and u click away from it it closes and saves, if u wack ur mouse into the corner all the windows are nicley tiles and then u click one and it comes to the front, MAC and Firefox are superior environments for web development using any editor.

How does that prove that Mac is superior to Windows and/or GNU/Linux for web development? I have no need for the features you listed at all.

And could you try to write in English instead? That'll make it easier to read your posts.

im not sugesting, im proof that a mac is the best environment for web development with lamp, they recently made this new function u just highligfht the file and press space bar and it opens in in a text editor that is super fast to open instant and u click away from it it closes and saves, if u wack ur mouse into the corner all the windows are nicley tiles and then u click one and it comes to the front, MAC and Firefox are superior environments for web development using any editor.

How does that prove that Mac is superior to Windows and/or GNU/Linux for web development? I have no need for the features you listed at all.

And could you try to write in English instead? That'll make it easier to read your posts.

it simpley just dosent flow properly in windows, the effect they created with the windows is a wana be of the mac osx hot corner tyling, it just dosent flow, belive me give it a go and u will fall in love with it, the mac itself is a work of art and is solid build. ok if u are an enthusiast for upgrading to teh latest components then maybe not but for work purposes literaly everything on the mac machnines slip in and slide out, these machines are made for work. and i cant even begin to tell you about there networking capability compared to a pc, pc's loose track of there clock somtimes and loose connection this never hapens on macs. i have a pc windows based here right next tio me i only use it for testing ie 6 and 7 or if i realy need it, i know windows and ie are much more secure but the usability of a mac and firefox a`re amazing.

in windows machines if u drag and drop a file into a window and u have that window open on another windows machine using networks, that file wont display instantly thats why they have a REFRESH button everywhere in wondows, there is no such thing as refresh on a mac osx machine everything happens like it should.

it simpley just dosent flow properly in windows, the effect they created with the windows is a wana be of the mac osx hot corner tyling, it just dosent flow, belive me give it a go and u will fall in love with it, the mac itself is a work of art and is solid build.

Ok... I'll say it again. I don't need the fancy eye candy. I turned aero off in Vista and I'm using the classic theme. In Ubuntu I turned off compiz. Even so, why does the fact that Mac OS X's eye candy does or does not look better than whatever other operating system's make OS X better for web development?

literaly everything on the mac machnines slip in and slide out, these machines are made for work.

I'm not sure what "slip in/out" is supposed to mean, all the other operating systems are meant for work as well.

and i cant even begin to tell you about there networking capability compared to a pc, pc's loose track of there clock somtimes and loose connection this never hapens on macs.

My PC doesn't lose track of time. If yours does that then maybe the battery on your motherboard that died and needs to be replaced or something. I can also stay connected quite fine.

i have a pc windows based here right next tio me i only use it for testing ie 6 and 7 or if i realy need it

How is a Mac superior if you are still dependent on a machine running Windows?

i know windows and ie are much more secure but the usability of a mac and firefox a`re amazing.

You're undermining your own argument, dude. If you say that Windows is more secure, then a Mac would obviously not be superior. Moreover, Firefox can run on all platforms, and whether you think the usability of a Mac is better is purely subjective.

in windows machines if u drag and drop a file into a window and u have that window open on another windows machine using networks, that file wont display instantly thats why they have a REFRESH button everywhere in wondows, there is no such thing as refresh on a mac osx machine everything happens like it should.

Not true:

http://www.screentoaster.com/watch/stUE1VRUVLRlhbQ1xbXFJZ

there is no such thing as task manager in mac osx you have all ur programs listed at the bottom in teh floating bubble menu on which u can right click and click FORCE QUIT, there is a nice appo for monotoring teh system and net

I don't like the dock, and the dock only shows the programs you have running in your foreground. The task manager shows all processes that are running on the entire system. Besides, this is also entirely irrelevant in terms of being superior for web development.

i know windows and ie are much more secure but the usability of a mac and firefox a`re amazing.

Since when has Windows been more secure than OSX?  When has IE ever been considered more secure than FireFox or Opera?

I like Macs.  I really do.  I used an iBook in college to take class notes and write simple web pages, and it was simple to use and stable as hell.  But, in regards to web development, they're not any more capable than a Windows machine.  Or a *nix machine, if you're comfortable using The GIMP as your graphics editor.

Considering there are people who prefer coding in vim, let's just say it's a matter of preference. I personally prefer Ubuntu.

I loved Ubuntu during the short stint I had with it a couple years ago.  I don't remember which editor I used, though.  It did have code highlighting, which was nice.

I've been using Netbeans for the last few months, the 6.5 version.  You'll need a fairly ninja PC to have it running quick though, and I'm overdue an upgrade at work.  It's good for PHP, HTML, CSS and lots more.  I'm using it as I intend to expand my skills in other languages, and downloaded the version with *EVERYTHING*.

Takes an age to load, only had one crash too.

I'm not sure what "slip in/out" is supposed to mean, all the other operating systems are meant for work as well

this means that the hardware of mac machines slips and slides out and in instead of wires and opening.

My PC doesn't lose track of time. If yours does that then maybe the battery on your motherboard that died and needs to be replaced or something. I can also stay connected quite fine.

obviously you havent studied ur networking properly, im chatting about pc based NIC LAN FRAME clock carried throgh the message for syncronisation.

I don't like the dock, and the dock only shows the programs you have running in your foreground. The task manager shows all processes that are running on the entire system. Besides, this is also entirely irrelevant in terms of being superior for web development.

you have no need to see windows processes, on a mac any process that is instantiated is displayed as an icon in the bottom dock.

You're undermining your own argument, dude. If you say that Windows is more secure, then a Mac would obviously not be superior. Moreover, Firefox can run on all platforms, and whether you think the usability of a Mac is better is purely subjective.

true there is more harmfull software out there for windows rather than mac, but the fact is that windows patches things even if they cause display glitches in there browser and breaks the DOM or even if the operating system is made less usable.