Which PHP-Editor do you think is the best?

briananderson

Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?  

372 members have voted

1. 1. Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?

• Dreamweaver
    • Maguma
    • Komodo
    • PHP Designer
    • Eclipse
    • Homesite
    • PHPEdit
    • Quanta Plus
    • Vim
    • BBEdit
    • Zend Studio
    • Other
    • Notepad++
    • HTML Kit
    • Netbeans

[quote author=jackpf link=topic=54859.msg1176532#msg1176532 date=1241458347]
Meh. Guess I'm beaten.

I still love my Notepad++ though.

:P
[/quote]

Notepad++ is great for small simple projects, honestly. But it really does lack for big projects, it is very hard to manage them from NPP, an IDE tends to keep projects in line so you can see the different functions, parameters you defined etc for bigger projects. This way you know of issues.

I love NPP too, so I use both. I do small and simple changes to scripts etc with NPP, but to manage my bigger projects NetBeans works great to keep me inline on what I have done without having to open each file individually :) It is not the sense of "being beaten". It is more or less you should use the right tool for the job. Most IDE's you can disable auto-complete if you want (As I know NPP comes with auto-complete). But for big projects, NPP really is not the tool for efficiently and effectively managing it.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, same. However, I guess I'm pretty ignorant on your second point as I'm 16 and haven't really participated in any major projects :D

I'm sure I'll discover the advantages of IDE's over time... :P

I'm not paying for one though. Rip off...
In fact, I don't think I'd pay for any software unless it was really good and there was no alternative.

[quote author=premiso link=topic=54859.msg1176542#msg1176542 date=1241458732]
[quote author=jackpf link=topic=54859.msg1176532#msg1176532 date=1241458347]
Meh. Guess I'm beaten.

I still love my Notepad++ though.

:P
[/quote]

Notepad++ is great for small simple projects, honestly. But it really does lack for big projects, it is very hard to manage them from NPP, an IDE tends to keep projects in line so you can see the different functions, parameters you defined etc for bigger projects. This way you know of issues.

I love NPP too, so I use both. I do small and simple changes to scripts etc with NPP, but to manage my bigger projects NetBeans works great to keep me inline on what I have done without having to open each file individually :) It is not the sense of "being beaten". It is more or less you should use the right tool for the job. Most IDE's you can disable auto-complete if you want (As I know NPP comes with auto-complete). But for big projects, NPP really is not the tool for efficiently and effectively managing it.
[/quote]

Exactly, I wasn't trying to make an argument out of it or prove why certain IDE's are better.  They're all tools, and should be used that way.  I do use Eclipse for mostly all projects just for the simple fact you can integrate CVS into it and it's very convenient to just commit the changes right to the dev server, this way it tells you if you have the latest version from the head or something is conflicting etc...  Like premiso said, it's not like I'm trying to 'beat' you in any sense, just spreading my knowledge and opinion.

[quote author=Ken2k7 link=topic=54859.msg1176550#msg1176550 date=1241459160]
I use Vim.
[/quote]

For small local changes I use vim as well.  ;)

[quote author=nrg_alpha link=topic=54859.msg1176597#msg1176597 date=1241460826]
Behave yourself.
[/quote]
I did behave myself. It took every ounce of my willpower to say that as politely as I could. :D

[quote author=Ken2k7 link=topic=54859.msg1176585#msg1176585 date=1241460241]
Shut it!

I use Vim for any edits, local copies or via SSH because I'm lazy to use FTP. The process to edit files using FTP is a bit tedious.
[/quote]

Editing files using FTP...?  Please, share with us.

[quote author=Ken2k7 link=topic=54859.msg1176607#msg1176607 date=1241462144]
I do have a sense of humor. But I find your sense of humor on Vim the least bit funny. It's like mocking it.
[/quote]

You don't find my sense of humor funny. Fair enough. No need to be rude about it though.
And the intention was not to mock the application (I never used it).

On a side note: I personally couldn't care less if people mock the apps I use. So what if they do? [i]Why should I care?[/i] We all have choices.. we all use what works for us. They're simply tools.

[quote author=Ken2k7 link=topic=54859.msg1176609#msg1176609 date=1241462215]
CuteFTP has an editor I used back when I was still using Windows.
[/quote]

I see, I've never used an editor in an FTP client, probably wouldn't want to anyway.

[quote author=jackpf link=topic=54859.msg1176622#msg1176622 date=1241462805]
Shit, I download file over FTP all the time; I find it damn tedious.
[/quote]

Setup a CVS on the server. Makes it much easier than FTPing for code changes. Simply commit the file and it should push it to the server. Mine is setup so that there are 2 directories dev and prod. If the dev file changes do not break it I copy those to the prod svn which is where I commit it. This way I can easily go back a version if I screwed it up on the dev part :)

But it did take me a while to get cvs working on my dedicated box and I do realize not everyone has full root access to their server. But I cannot begin to say how much time this has saved me from accidentally overwriting a file or truncating it or FTP dropping the connection at a bad time. CVS is the only way to go :)

[quote author=premiso link=topic=54859.msg1176626#msg1176626 date=1241463151]
[quote author=jackpf link=topic=54859.msg1176622#msg1176622 date=1241462805]
Shit, I download file over FTP all the time; I find it damn tedious.
[/quote]

Setup a CVS on the server. Makes it much easier than FTPing for code changes. Simply commit the file and it should push it to the server. Mine is setup so that there are 2 directories dev and prod. If the dev file changes do not break it I copy those to the prod svn which is where I commit it. This way I can easily go back a version if I screwed it up on the dev part :)

But it did take me a while to get cvs working on my dedicated box and I do realize not everyone has full root access to their server. But I cannot begin to say how much time this has saved me from accidentally overwriting a file or truncating it or FTP dropping the connection at a bad time. CVS is the only way to go :)
[/quote]

What those do is essentially to download the file to a temporary location so you can modify them. They'll then upload them back to the server when you save. FTP doesn't support editing per se.

Wow...this looks like I'm using Win 95 again.

And hey, that would be useful. However, I doubt my £10 p/a hosts would allow me to install anything...

That would save me a lot of time though. I download my entire site like 20 times a day when I'm editing it to make sure I don't screw anything up.

And yeah @Daniel0, the closest thing I have to that is probably filezilla, which detects if the temp file has been changed or not and if so, prompts you to upload it back to the server.

It'd be cool if it weren't for the prompt...it'd pretty much be a CVS. Except without the concurrent version and stuff :P

[quote author=jackpf link=topic=54859.msg1176631#msg1176631 date=1241463323]
That would save me a lot of time though. I download my entire site like 20 times a day when I'm editing it to make sure I don't screw anything up.
[/quote]

And this is exactly what subversion is for.  There are different versions you can revert back to if you screw anything up.  I'm not sure what hosts support CVS/SVN but it's definitely worth looking into.

[quote author=nrg_alpha link=topic=54859.msg1176624#msg1176624 date=1241462876]
You don't find my sense of humor funny. Fair enough. No need to be rude about it though.
[/quote]
Well, I don't know you so I wouldn't say that. I just find that one not funny because I love Vim so you can see why I didn't find it a bit funny. But I should and do sincerely apologize if you were offended. I didn't mean it to sound like shut up or any term that is portrayed to sound mean or rude in today's society. People around here say "shut it" in a sarcastic tone. I kind of just grew into it. But I can understand from your POV. Again, sorry.

SVN + SSH FTW!

Yeah. I'd probably still download my site in excessive quantities though. I get worried otherwise :D If I lost all my work, I probably would kill myself...

I even email it to myself on a regular basis, so in order to lose it, 3 pcs must instantaneously die.

But yeah, cheers, I'll look into that.

[quote author=jackpf link=topic=54859.msg1176631#msg1176631 date=1241463323]
It'd be cool if it weren't for the prompt...it'd pretty much be a CVS. Except without the concurrent version and stuff :P
[/quote]

Unless you already have projects under CVS, I'd probably go with SVN, Git or Mercurial instead.

[quote author=Ken2k7 link=topic=54859.msg1176635#msg1176635 date=1241463646]
[quote author=nrg_alpha link=topic=54859.msg1176624#msg1176624 date=1241462876]
[/quote]
Well, I don't know you so I wouldn't say that. I just find that one not funny because I love Vim so you can see why I didn't find it a bit funny. But I should and do sincerely apologize if you were offended. I didn't mean it to sound like shut up or any term that is portrayed to sound mean or rude in today's society. People around here say "shut it" in a sarcastic tone. I kind of just grew into it. But I can understand from your POV. Again, sorry.

SVN + SSH FTW!
[/quote]

Apology accepted. Water under the bridge.
While I personally don't care if people mock / bash what I use, I can understand the emotional attachment people can have on things..

[quote author=nrg_alpha link=topic=54859.msg1175940#msg1175940 date=1241403927]
[quote author=corbin link=topic=54859.msg1175930#msg1175930 date=1241403175]
I find NetBeans terribly slow at times though x.x.
[/quote]

I am using an underpowered laptop, and NetBeans runs respectably enough for me.
If you goto tools > plugins and then select the 'Installed' tab, you'll probably find some stuff you that can disable (depending on which features / how many, there should be some performance improvements).
[/quote]

Hrmmm....  Just disabled about 4 plugins.

I think a major part of the crappy performance might also be the crappy code I'm currently working with.  There are a ton of syntax errors in the HTML, so NetBeans is probably freaking out a lot.

[quote author=corbin link=topic=54859.msg1176952#msg1176952 date=1241480943]
I think a major part of the crappy performance might also be the crappy code I'm currently working with.  There are a ton of syntax errors in the HTML, so NetBeans is probably freaking out a lot.
[/quote]
:D I never used NetBeans, but I hear it's decent from others who have used it. Is it really? Not that I'm going to try it. I just want to know.