Which PHP-Editor do you think is the best?

briananderson

Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?  

372 members have voted

1. 1. Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?

• Dreamweaver
    • Maguma
    • Komodo
    • PHP Designer
    • Eclipse
    • Homesite
    • PHPEdit
    • Quanta Plus
    • Vim
    • BBEdit
    • Zend Studio
    • Other
    • Notepad++
    • HTML Kit
    • Netbeans

Didn't realise how long ago I posted on this thread, but as its been bumped up again I thought I'd update - I now, and have done for a while used Maguma Studio (the open source one) since Neylitalo pointed it out. And on my Mac I use Komodo, which has some pretty nice features!

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I use Komodo 3.2 and it's the best editor I've come across in a long time. Well worth the (small) home use fee, anyway. I like:

- Customisable syntax highlighting

- Syntax checking

- Auto indentations

yes well i'll weight in and ZDE Pro version 5.1 is great if your doing web application the profiller will help you optimize with ease and the code completion and objects handling and the like is above anything else i ever tried.

I'm using both Zend Studio 5.1 Enterprise and Dreamweaver MX 2004, together they do what I need.

For PHP debugging and profiling the Zend Studio is absolutely great. And Dreamweaver is far better for the HTML part and page layout development.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Maybe you guys can help me on seeing what the big differences are between the Zend Stanard and Professional and which one I should get. I Guess I will just tell you alittle bit about the project I am going to be on working.

I am involved wiht a team of programmer work on build a game. Now I got involved with this team as a C++ Programmer but now I am wanting to make a switch to web development fo r the team as we can use it. One thing we have been doing it looking fo rsome web based project management tools and there are really not many that are stable of have good features, the only one that I have found that has been worth trying is GForge, that does not havea high monthly fee per developer. THe problem I am having with GForge is that it is a pain to install and I have asked one quest on GForge forums with no reply in over 1 week, they have a horrible online support. This has driven me to start working on my own Project Management toll in PHP/MySQL. I am planning to build a full feature project management tool, here is a list of just a handful of feature that are planned with more to come( some features are not designed my my of team in mind because i might be releasing this to the public since i know how hard it is to find a descent one ):

• Everything is going to be under on name be it a "company" of just a small team, whatever.
  • The main "company" and sub-companies can have as many sub-companies as they want so you could use this to seperate different divisions and since you can have an unlimited hierarchy You can host mutliple "companies" with mutliple divisions
  • Project can be under any "company" or sub-company
  • Project have th eoption to flow downward or not( a project under a "company/sub-company" with a division or somthing under it can be global to everything under the "company"{ or you can keep it private to th3e just the "company"
  • you can assign tasks, bug fixing, meetings, etc...(not sure what else is need) to Projects.
  • with meeting, you can create a meeting for everyone in a project, division, or compnay just by selecting it in the metting setup page or you can just puick the poeple ono by ono that need to be at the meeting
  • when meeting are created, an e-mail is sent out to everyone involved in the meeting, plus the home page for the user will show weather or not he has meeting in the furture.
  • might create a script top when you create a project you can create whatever number of fields and they can be whatever they want however this might not work out that easily and php/mysql experiance might be nesscary if you wan toto create custom task, bug tracking, etc... screen if you don't like the default one i will be providing

that is just a small list of the major features i am going to be implementing. Do you think I will get my moneys worht if i spend the extra 100 on the Porfessional verion of Zend

• 3 weeks later...

i know this is an old topic but i just came accross it and wanted to post :)

QUOTE(theverychap @ Aug 12 2005, 05:42 AM)

Vim is also good, but (as mentioned by just about everyone in the world) Vim is hard to get used to. so is emacs for that matter.

I reckon (and this would p*ss a few people of to say the least) KDE should take apart Vim, give all those awkward commands some easier access and call it, wait for it, Kim!

lol sorry i couldn't resist.

see, i could play with Kate while slowly breaking in Kim, now that sounds good. lol, maybe i could even synchronise them using KitchenSync. ok pmsl.

yeah vim is a bit awkward to get used to but once you do it's amazing. you don't have to take your hands off the alphabet keys to do ANYTHING in the editor. every function has a keybinding within that bunch of keys.

and there's a kvim hehe i guess someone read theverychap's post :)

kvim at freshmeat

kvim at slashdot

QUOTE(Arenium @ Aug 16 2005, 11:28 PM)

Hahahaha, classic.

Still, what's the point? Just playing with GVim (along with this very quick and easy tutorial) is in my opinion the best way to learn Vim. I've toyed with emacs before, but was rather put off by the illogical keyboard combinations. I've known my fair share of Emacs purists, too, however. They're also the ones who wind up using Window Maker, or so it seems. :P

there's also cream for those who don't like to get down and dirty with vim.

personally i think it might be better to whoever wants to learn vim to get used to vim straight away before they build up habits that might impede using vim.

i hated vim in the beginning, but it does miracles now! :)

Vim at the wikipedia

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use PHP Designer 2006. I stumbled across this software through php-editors.com, and haven't looked back. PHP Designer 2005 was nice, but 2006 has some improvements. My favorite part is that it actually uses proper syntax highlighting colors, which many free editors don't seem to support for some reason.

PHP Designer 2006, Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 and SCitE are my main editors of choice. i do agree that Dreamweaver 8 is insanely helpful when it comes to CSS... just don't use the generated code (especially markup), or you'll be in for some trouble :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I've switched to using Komodo on my PC now from Maguma. Maguma has had a tendancy to just crash on me quite regularly and it's started to annoy me now. I think the syntax highlighting is better on Maguma than it is on Komoda though, but hey, you can't have it all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Notepad.  I guess the world is split into handcoders and Dreamweavers.  Yeah I get syntax errors -- never more than three so far -- but it takes me all of 30 seconds @ to clean them up.

Actually I use a basic HTML editor for just one reason: the good undo feature.

• 3 weeks later...

Notepad.  I guess the world is split into handcoders and Dreamweavers.  Yeah I get syntax errors -- never more than three so far -- but it takes me all of 30 seconds @ to clean them up.

Actually I use a basic HTML editor for just one reason: the good undo feature.

I don't see the point in using notepad. There is no syntax highlighting and no automatic indendtion and such things. I don't think it's "cool" to make the job more difficult. I believe it will improve your efficiency with code-completion, automatic indendtion, syntax highlighting etc.

i've recently discovered what's quickly becoming one of my favorites: Notepad++. yea, apparently, it's been around for some time, but i love how it gives you the "notepad" feel, but it gives syntax highlighting for almost any language you want. it's very nice, and for those of you who don't like to overload yourself with the extra help of dreamweaver, it would be a wonderful addition to your software library.

• 4 weeks later...

What do you think about VIM and Emacs?

I saw a video of someone programming in TextMate and I found it very funny with the codes autocompleting...

but textmate is for Mac and cosys money...

I played a little with VIM, it´s full of comands, but is funny, much more fun than DW...

I already worked with NuSpherePHPEd ad it´s very nice... with a lot of usefull features. If you have not to care with design, PHPEd is very very good...

I´m interested in VIM...