Which PHP-Editor do you think is the best?

briananderson

Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?  

372 members have voted

1. 1. Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?

• Dreamweaver
    • Maguma
    • Komodo
    • PHP Designer
    • Eclipse
    • Homesite
    • PHPEdit
    • Quanta Plus
    • Vim
    • BBEdit
    • Zend Studio
    • Other
    • Notepad++
    • HTML Kit
    • Netbeans

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote author=keldorn link=topic=54859.msg1303608#msg1303608 date=1257419960]
Okay ladies and gents. I use Notepad++  (Waits for pitchforks), yes I memorize and type out functions and methods and do everything without code hints or anything.
[/quote]

We have a genius in our presence. I can only imagine how efficient you are.

[quote author=thorpe link=topic=54859.msg1303623#msg1303623 date=1257421266]
Okay ladies and gents. I use Notepad++  (Waits for pitchforks), yes I memorize and type out functions and methods and do everything without code hints or anything.
[/quote]

We have a genius in our presence. I can only imagine how efficient you are.
[/quote]

That is sarcasm right?  :-\ The first sentence I thought "Sure, maybe thrope likes those type of people" but then the second part "I can only imagine how efficient you are.".

If you aren't being sarcastic, how is that efficient?

[/quote]

It seems you may as well be using Notepad. Notepad++ comes wit a lot of good features, one of them being autocomplete.

Try typing 'str_' and then hitting 'Ctrl + Space Bar', code hint??

[quote author=gevans link=topic=54859.msg1306704#msg1306704 date=1257849583]
[/quote]

It seems you may as well be using Notepad. Notepad++ comes wit a lot of good features, one of them being autocomplete.

Try typing 'str_' and then hitting 'Ctrl + Space Bar', code hint??
[/quote]

Notepad++ just has syntax highlighting, it does have autocomplete which basically just throws all your previously typed stuff into it, so if you typed $_SESSION in your code, $_SESSION will appear once you type $_[...] , a little bit convient.

I find Notepad++ syntax highlighting is way better then netbeans. I tried netbeans and thought I like it last week while starting a new web application. But I ended up in notepad++ again. It was mostly becuase the syntax highlighting and also becuase netbeans in written in Java, so it has that "lag" effect all java apps have. Even on my 4GB ram and quad core, still no difference, Java apps are still slower.  The price you pay for using an interpreted language. They should of wrote in c++, I dont see why java is such a rave among academics. Its a horribly slow language. :D

[quote author=roopurt18 link=topic=54859.msg1310893#msg1310893 date=1258431898]

Because academics don't write production code.

[/quote]
I can't think of much of anything intelligent say in responce. Except that school are usually good for teaching you stuff you won't actually use in the real world. I never understood why schools teach like that. Its just a dumb thing. If you have some guy in a school and he is a brutish looking guy, why teach him Alegrbra? The school should be sticking that guy in a machine shop to learn welding or how to rip apart a car. Teach people the right stuff.  ;)

[code]Try typing 'str_' and then hitting 'Ctrl + Space Bar', code hint??[/code]

Very cool, I somehow missed this part of what you wrote, but I tried it out. Is there a way to make that automatic? ctrl+spacebar is not very fast.

[quote author=keldorn link=topic=54859.msg1310898#msg1310898 date=1258432827]
I can't think of much of anything intelligent say in responce. Except that school are usually good for teaching you stuff you won't actually use in the real world. I never understood why schools teach like that. Its just a dumb thing. If you have some guy in a school and he is a brutish looking guy, why teach him Alegrbra? The school should be sticking that guy in a machine shop to learn welding or how to rip apart a car. Teach people the right stuff.  ;)
[/quote]

Well, then why teach mathematics, history, literature, arts, science, etc. at all? It's not like you actually need it to function in the society. In many cases you would even get along fine without being able to read and write.

Regarding the mathematics: [url=http://www.maa.org/devlin/LockhartsLament.pdf]A Mathematician's Lament[/url] (it's a bit long but good -- read it!)

[quote]If you have some guy in a school and he is a brutish looking guy, why teach him Alegrbra? The school should be sticking that guy in a machine shop to learn welding or how to rip apart a car[/quote]

Eh. So.. if it were up to you people's career should be predetermined by their builds?

[quote author=448191 link=topic=54859.msg1310994#msg1310994 date=1258445931]
[quote]If you have some guy in a school and he is a brutish looking guy, why teach him Alegrbra? The school should be sticking that guy in a machine shop to learn welding or how to rip apart a car[/quote]

Eh. So.. if it were up to you people's career should be predetermined by their builds?
[/quote]

Thats kind of an interesting argument really.

In general we decide this every time we see a person, we simply don't announce it as profusely.
We stereotype people and this is more or less an advancement of it.

True, everybody does this whether they admit it or are even aware of it or not. But this is a first impression, opposing impressions (such as of the *actual* intelligence of a person) may follow. Nothing interesting about it, just painfully shortsighted. I mean, I'm all for some level of generalization (all Americans are fascist pigs!) because without some level you can never think in terms larger than your immediate environment (unless you're a supercomputer, in which case you should be banned because bots aren't allowed to post), but rejecting someones education of choice because of their appearance is not just generalization, this is blind willful ignorance of an individuals capabilities based on a generalization.

Of course the brutish looking people are stealing all our jobs and women, so I guess it is allowed out of pure spite.

[quote author=keldorn link=topic=54859.msg1310898#msg1310898 date=1258432827]

[code]Try typing 'str_' and then hitting 'Ctrl + Space Bar', code hint??[/code]

Very cool, I somehow missed this part of what you wrote, but I tried it out. Is there a way to make that automatic? ctrl+spacebar is not very fast.
[/quote]

Yes there is, open Notepad++;

Settings -> Preferences

Go to the 'Backup / Auto-Completion' tab.

You can configure your settings from there. I tend to check 'Enable auto-completion on each input', select 'Function completion', 'From the 1th character' and check 'Function paramaters hint on input'.

wow i just looked at the results and i'm surprised so many people here use DreamWeaver.

i haven't strayed from vim. i've tried many other editors but vim is still so flexible. it can do anything i want it to.

[quote author=448191 link=topic=54859.msg1311870#msg1311870 date=1258535510]
Maybe you should close it, unsticky, and restart with a link to this? I agree the current value of the results is pretty close to 0.
[/quote]+1

And possibly advertise it on the phpfreaks homepage? (or one of those "the administrator requires you to read this post before continuing browsing this forum" would get more results) im rather curious as to what the current day result would be.