Which PHP-Editor do you think is the best?

briananderson

Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?  

372 members have voted

1. 1. Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?

• Dreamweaver
    • Maguma
    • Komodo
    • PHP Designer
    • Eclipse
    • Homesite
    • PHPEdit
    • Quanta Plus
    • Vim
    • BBEdit
    • Zend Studio
    • Other
    • Notepad++
    • HTML Kit
    • Netbeans

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other day I searched about vim and emacs...

well emacs is not for programming...

I´m practicing with gVim, and I´m liking very much... I guess that when I learn the commands well, I would do many things quickly.

That commandline look is amazing! lol

Other day I searched about vim and emacs...

well emacs is not for programming...

You'd better be careful where you say that. ;) emacs is actually rather well suited for programming, but just like vim (and maybe more so) it takes some practice. I'm really not a fan of the finger acrobatics needed to do anything in emacs.

I´m practicing with gVim, and I´m liking very much... I guess that when I learn the commands well, I would do many things quickly.

Cool :) gVim is my favorite text editor, and you're absolutely right - once you learn it, you'll be able to fly around in much less time than with the traditional text editor. The very first things I install on all of my linux (Gentoo) machines are vim and gvim, and if I have to use Windows, I get WinVi. http://www.winvi.de/en for a standalone vim for Windows.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use Quanta Plus mainly because I'm running Linux.

Actually I like Zend Studio more than all the other I have tried, but unfortunately I cannot afford to buy a license yet. If I have to code something on Windows, I use PHP Designer.

Boby

Wow, I can't believe no one else uses PHPEclipse. That is my workhorse. Although I'll use dreamweaver when I'm doing heavy html editing w/ just a little PHP. And gvim/vim is great when there's a lone file (PHPEclipse works w/ projects) or you need to make a quick change and just ssh to the server.

Back when I was using that OS with the Start button, I used Magumo, but they would regularly introduce bugs and it would take them too long to fix.

I already used phpEd, i foud it fantastic, marvelous!!! I tried Zend´s one, but i found it too heavy (my machine got too slow)

I used phpEd for about six months in my last job, I foud it marvelous.

I tried Eclipse other day and i found it very nice too. I fout it much better than Zendfw. But I´m using only at home because I couldn´t make it open files thru the network...

In my job (I would like to use eclipse but) I´m using DWXM... i find that this one is more to designers and small appls.

We here had to work with eclipse because we are developping a large and complex appl, but the culture of the people here is to edit the files thru the network instead of using a CVS or anything like it.

DWMX do not have code completition, do not highlight correctly, no 'native' suport of cvs, but it shows the design, no suport for PHPdoc. Only one thing is very nice in it: I CAN FOLD ANY THING I WANT...

I just love Eclipse. But I love the retro look of Vim... and it's nice commands and such...

But my vote goes to Eclipse, (I find that) it is all a PHP appl developper needs.

I use PSPad on windows. www.pspad.com/en

Easy, free, lightweight and can even be used as a portable app.

Got the usual, syntax highlighting, with the majority of the major languages ready to be highighted.

Built in FTP, so can edit easy too! :)

On Linux I use MC (Midnight Commander)

I tried vi back when I first started out, and could find out how to close it.. emacs freaked me out more....so I left it all behind me and went with MC.

In KDE, I run Kate, nice program to use. :)

On Mac, I use BBEdit or anything that is easy to use straight away or just lightweight to startup to do any minor changes, saves hogging it all the time. :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm a big fan of TextMate on the Mac.

I work on both the PC and the Mac depending on where i'm working, so I use DW - but after toying with textmate, I must say I'll probably jump ship once there's a PC version or a good enough equivalent. I LOVE the functionality you get out of just the tab key when creating functions/classes and when you do quotes, the closing quote gets written automatically with the cursor jumping right in the middle...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...