Which PHP-Editor do you think is the best?

briananderson

Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?  

372 members have voted

1. 1. Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?

• Dreamweaver
    • Maguma
    • Komodo
    • PHP Designer
    • Eclipse
    • Homesite
    • PHPEdit
    • Quanta Plus
    • Vim
    • BBEdit
    • Zend Studio
    • Other
    • Notepad++
    • HTML Kit
    • Netbeans

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using Dreamweaver for editing and have recently started using Eclipse for debugging.

I find Eclipse really really slow however and now it's started throwing errors everytime I do anything.  Can anyone recommend any other free editors that allow debugging control.

[quote author=-null- link=topic=54859.msg1169714#msg1169714 date=1240681822]
I've been using Dreamweaver for editing and have recently started using Eclipse for debugging.

I find Eclipse really really slow however and now it's started throwing errors everytime I do anything.  Can anyone recommend any other free editors that allow debugging control.
[/quote]

NetBeans, I just found out, is a really good editor that is fast (a lot faster than eclipse) and works well. I would have to recommend that one.

[quote author=premiso link=topic=54859.msg1169733#msg1169733 date=1240684541]

[/quote]

NetBeans, I just found out, is a really good editor that is fast (a lot faster than eclipse) and works well. I would have to recommend that one.
[/quote]

I've been using NetBeans for the last while. It seems very responsive and much more stable than Eclipse based IDEs. I think I'll probably make it my main editor.

Eclipse, or more specifically.. Aptana Studio.
Was a bit sluggish opening files before, but with the recent patches (or my OS reinstall, don't know which of the 2) it's really responsive and since it's eclipse there's no shortage of other plugins.

[quote author=Daniel0 link=topic=54859.msg1170048#msg1170048 date=1240743572]
[quote author=premiso link=topic=54859.msg1169733#msg1169733 date=1240684541]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've been using NetBeans for the last while. It seems very responsive and much more stable than Eclipse based IDEs. I think I'll probably make it my main editor.
[/quote]

I find NetBeans terribly slow at times though x.x.

[quote author=corbin link=topic=54859.msg1175930#msg1175930 date=1241403175]
I find NetBeans terribly slow at times though x.x.
[/quote]

I am using an underpowered laptop, and NetBeans runs respectably enough for me.
If you goto tools > plugins and then select the 'Installed' tab, you'll probably find some stuff you that can disable (depending on which features / how many, there should be some performance improvements).

I had a go with net beans...didn't care for it.

I find it annoying the way it will autocomplete a quote for you, but it won't put the semicolon on the end. That means you just have to navigate around to append the semicolon.

It probably would have been faster if I just typed the extra quote myself tbh.

[quote author=jackpf link=topic=54859.msg1176080#msg1176080 date=1241422904]
I had a go with net beans...didn't care for it.

I find it annoying the way it will autocomplete a quote for you, but it won't put the semicolon on the end. That means you just have to navigate around to append the semicolon.

It probably would have been faster if I just typed the extra quote myself tbh.
[/quote]
Or just press the End key or right arrow key.

How can it know if you want a semi-colon? Either way, it's considerably more useful for the various types of brackets where you may have multiple nested levels. Ever tried writing even something trivial in Lisp/Scheme? I'm sure you would appreciate bracket matching and bracket completion. Even in PHP it can be nice to ensure that you have the correct amount of brackets.

[quote author=jackpf link=topic=54859.msg1176092#msg1176092 date=1241424802]
Yeah, that's what I mean. If I just typed it myself I wouldn't have to :P
[/quote]

Learn to put the semi-colon before you type in the statement. Just make that a habit and viola soon enough your speedier than you thought.

Lol. Yeah...but I can just press the quote key myself faster then I can navigate around to insert a semi-colon first or whatever.

I just don't see the point :P

I guess I'm just a simpleton.

But yeah, with what Daniel0 said, I guess the bracket thing can be pretty useful for people who can't count :P

[quote]But yeah, with what Daniel0 said, I guess the bracket thing can be pretty useful for people who can't count :P[/quote]

Even if you can count, LISP code gets very annoying with all of the parentheses.  An IDE that handles this is very convenient and saves a lot of time.  With languages such as PHP and Java, you're right, if you can count you should be fine  ;)  Although, I still use some of the auto-complete features when dealing with any J2EE projects.  It's also nice because at work we have a specific style of formatting and with most IDE's you can just import an XML formatter which will format your code automatically.

[code]auto-complete features[/code]
Yeah...pretty useful for people without a memory.. :P

No, I'm just kidding, I can see how it would be useful.

I guess I just don't really need/use it as I program relatively small projects, and I'm the one doing all the coding, so I know exactly what's going on.

Another aspect I like is that say you run into something like:

[code=php:0]echo "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.";[/code]

since double quotes are not necessary here, you can highlight the whole text from (including) the opening to the closing double quotes, and simply hit the quote key and bam, the quotes are automatically converted to single quotes. Quick and handy when you come across stuff that doesn't need to be double quoted (or vise versa - what it doesn't do though is automatically escape any inner quotes that would need to be escaped in the event the outer ones are converted from one to the other). Still, a nice little aspect IMO. The devil's in the details.

Yeah, I totally agree. But if you're actually paying for these features when Notepad++ does them anyways...

I know netbeans is free. But people earlier on in this thread said they were paying like $150 for their IDE's...

[quote author=jackpf link=topic=54859.msg1176513#msg1176513 date=1241457772]
Yeah, I totally agree. But if you're actually paying for these features when Notepad++ does them anyways...

I know netbeans is free. But people earlier on in this thread said they were paying like $150 for their IDE's...
[/quote]

No, notepad++ doesn't even have a 1/3 of these features...  Package Explorer, class outlines, style importing, auto-completion, CVS, automatic building/compiling, server/database binding... I don't remember notepad++ having any of these, and besides, it's absolutely free!

Maybe for maintaining a tiny personal site, notepad++ is suitable, in fact, I use it all the time, but for a medium-large scale project you NEED to have an IDE that can handle and offer these features or you will take twice as long to get anything done.