Photo

Which PHP-Editor do you think is the best?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
322 replies to this topic

Poll: Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best? (372 member(s) have cast votes)

Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?

1. Dreamweaver (109 votes [29.30%])

Percentage of vote: 29.30%

2. Maguma (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Komodo (7 votes [1.88%])

Percentage of vote: 1.88%

4. PHP Designer (27 votes [7.26%])

Percentage of vote: 7.26%

5. Eclipse (21 votes [5.65%])

Percentage of vote: 5.65%

6. Homesite (1 votes [0.27%])

Percentage of vote: 0.27%

7. PHPEdit (8 votes [2.15%])

Percentage of vote: 2.15%

8. Quanta Plus (5 votes [1.34%])

Percentage of vote: 1.34%

9. Vim (14 votes [3.76%])

Percentage of vote: 3.76%

10. BBEdit (4 votes [1.08%])

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

11. Zend Studio (25 votes [6.72%])

Percentage of vote: 6.72%

12. Other (85 votes [22.85%])

Percentage of vote: 22.85%

13. Notepad++ (49 votes [13.17%])

Percentage of vote: 13.17%

14. HTML Kit (7 votes [1.88%])

Percentage of vote: 1.88%

15. Netbeans (10 votes [2.69%])

Percentage of vote: 2.69%

Vote

#241 jackpf

jackpf
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,410 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:20 PM

Lol. Yeah...but I can just press the quote key myself faster then I can navigate around to insert a semi-colon first or whatever.

I just don't see the point :P

I guess I'm just a simpleton.

But yeah, with what Daniel0 said, I guess the bracket thing can be pretty useful for people who can't count :P

#242 Maq

Maq
  • Administrators
  • Advanced Member
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:31 PM

But yeah, with what Daniel0 said, I guess the bracket thing can be pretty useful for people who can't count :P

Even if you can count, LISP code gets very annoying with all of the parentheses.  An IDE that handles this is very convenient and saves a lot of time.  With languages such as PHP and Java, you're right, if you can count you should be fine  ;)  Although, I still use some of the auto-complete features when dealing with any J2EE projects.  It's also nice because at work we have a specific style of formatting and with most IDE's you can just import an XML formatter which will format your code automatically.
tjmothy
ini_set ("display_errors", "1");
error_reporting(E_ALL);

#243 jackpf

jackpf
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,410 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 May 2009 - 02:55 PM

auto-complete features
Yeah...pretty useful for people without a memory.. :P

No, I'm just kidding, I can see how it would be useful.

I guess I just don't really need/use it as I program relatively small projects, and I'm the one doing all the coding, so I know exactly what's going on.

#244 Daniel0

Daniel0
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:03 PM

I'm working on a fairly large project where a lot of the CMS code is a mess. Being able to Ctrl-click on class and method names to go to the source and auto completion is god-send.

#245 nrg_alpha

nrg_alpha
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,498 posts
  • LocationCanada's Capital

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:45 PM

Another aspect I like is that say you run into something like:

echo "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.";

since double quotes are not necessary here, you can highlight the whole text from (including) the opening to the closing double quotes, and simply hit the quote key and bam, the quotes are automatically converted to single quotes. Quick and handy when you come across stuff that doesn't need to be double quoted (or vise versa - what it doesn't do though is automatically escape any inner quotes that would need to be escaped in the event the outer ones are converted from one to the other). Still, a nice little aspect IMO. The devil's in the details.
"Build a man a fire, you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
PHP = One cool palindrome!

#246 jackpf

jackpf
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,410 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:02 PM

Notepad++ search and replace on highlighted text :D

May take one or two seconds longer...

#247 nrg_alpha

nrg_alpha
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:20 PM

Well I think any IDE with search and replace would do that too.. this is just an small extra that doesn't need that.
"Build a man a fire, you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

#248 jackpf

jackpf
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,410 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:22 PM

Yeah, I totally agree. But if you're actually paying for these features when Notepad++ does them anyways...

I know netbeans is free. But people earlier on in this thread said they were paying like $150 for their IDE's...

#249 Maq

Maq
  • Administrators
  • Advanced Member
  • 9,410 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:29 PM

Yeah, I totally agree. But if you're actually paying for these features when Notepad++ does them anyways...

I know netbeans is free. But people earlier on in this thread said they were paying like $150 for their IDE's...

No, notepad++ doesn't even have a 1/3 of these features...  Package Explorer, class outlines, style importing, auto-completion, CVS, automatic building/compiling, server/database binding... I don't remember notepad++ having any of these, and besides, it's absolutely free!

Maybe for maintaining a tiny personal site, notepad++ is suitable, in fact, I use it all the time, but for a medium-large scale project you NEED to have an IDE that can handle and offer these features or you will take twice as long to get anything done.
tjmothy
error_reporting(E_ALL);

#250 jackpf

jackpf
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,410 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

Meh. Guess I'm beaten.

I still love my Notepad++ though.

:P

#251 premiso

premiso
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Trollololol
  • 6,969 posts
  • LocationHairy Beaverville

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:38 PM

Meh. Guess I'm beaten.

Notepad++ is great for small simple projects, honestly. But it really does lack for big projects, it is very hard to manage them from NPP, an IDE tends to keep projects in line so you can see the different functions, parameters you defined etc for bigger projects. This way you know of issues.

I love NPP too, so I use both. I do small and simple changes to scripts etc with NPP, but to manage my bigger projects NetBeans works great to keep me inline on what I have done without having to open each file individually :) It is not the sense of "being beaten". It is more or less you should use the right tool for the job. Most IDE's you can disable auto-complete if you want (As I know NPP comes with auto-complete). But for big projects, NPP really is not the tool for efficiently and effectively managing it.
Did I assist you? Feeling like contributing to my gaming addiction?

Assist with my gaming addiction! | Free Flash Games | lxt Article Site

#252 jackpf

jackpf
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,410 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:42 PM

Yeah, same. However, I guess I'm pretty ignorant on your second point as I'm 16 and haven't really participated in any major projects :D

I'm sure I'll discover the advantages of IDE's over time... :P

I'm not paying for one though. Rip off...
In fact, I don't think I'd pay for any software unless it was really good and there was no alternative.

#253 Ken2k7

Ken2k7
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

I use Vim.

A programmer who shys away from elegant tricks will never be more than competent at best. Ego and a desire to attempt the impossible are traits of most great coders.

#254 Maq

Maq
  • Administrators
  • Advanced Member
  • 9,410 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:48 PM

Meh. Guess I'm beaten.

Notepad++ is great for small simple projects, honestly. But it really does lack for big projects, it is very hard to manage them from NPP, an IDE tends to keep projects in line so you can see the different functions, parameters you defined etc for bigger projects. This way you know of issues.

I love NPP too, so I use both. I do small and simple changes to scripts etc with NPP, but to manage my bigger projects NetBeans works great to keep me inline on what I have done without having to open each file individually :) It is not the sense of "being beaten". It is more or less you should use the right tool for the job. Most IDE's you can disable auto-complete if you want (As I know NPP comes with auto-complete). But for big projects, NPP really is not the tool for efficiently and effectively managing it.

Exactly, I wasn't trying to make an argument out of it or prove why certain IDE's are better.  They're all tools, and should be used that way.  I do use Eclipse for mostly all projects just for the simple fact you can integrate CVS into it and it's very convenient to just commit the changes right to the dev server, this way it tells you if you have the latest version from the head or something is conflicting etc...  Like premiso said, it's not like I'm trying to 'beat' you in any sense, just spreading my knowledge and opinion.

I use Vim.

For small local changes I use vim as well.  ;)
tjmothy
error_reporting(E_ALL);

#255 nrg_alpha

nrg_alpha
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:58 PM

The only time I use Vim is to clean my sink and bathtub.

#256 Ken2k7

Ken2k7
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:04 PM

Shut it!

I use Vim for any edits, local copies or via SSH because I'm lazy to use FTP. The process to edit files using FTP is a bit tedious.

A programmer who shys away from elegant tricks will never be more than competent at best. Ego and a desire to attempt the impossible are traits of most great coders.

#257 nrg_alpha

nrg_alpha
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:13 PM

Shut it!

Behave yourself.

#258 Ken2k7

Ken2k7
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:20 PM

Behave yourself.

I did behave myself. It took every ounce of my willpower to say that as politely as I could. :D

#259 nrg_alpha

nrg_alpha
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:32 PM

If you don't have a sense of humor, that's fine. Just leave the snide remarks out of it.

#260 Ken2k7

Ken2k7
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,197 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:35 PM

I do have a sense of humor. But I find your sense of humor on Vim the least bit funny. It's like mocking it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users