Which PHP-Editor do you think is the best?

briananderson

Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?  

372 members have voted

1. 1. Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?

• Dreamweaver
    • Maguma
    • Komodo
    • PHP Designer
    • Eclipse
    • Homesite
    • PHPEdit
    • Quanta Plus
    • Vim
    • BBEdit
    • Zend Studio
    • Other
    • Notepad++
    • HTML Kit
    • Netbeans

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just read the poll.

i think u guys have forgotten PHP designer 2005.

its preety awesome.

its light weight.

have some cool features.

also it directly incorporates the php_manual.chm file for the help feature.

though i have used dreaweaver, i still recomend this for atleast the basic user, since it is specifically designed for PHP.

u all can try it once, and reply the suggestions

On Linux Quanta is what i use, but while in windows world i use Developers Pad.

DevPad is way, way, way out of date now! (many years) i really should upgrade, ive been using it for years. its essentially a vb editor (dont ask me i never touch the stuff!) but it has syntax highlighting for 99% of the languages we are likely to use.

Er, im not even trying to justify it, it is actually quite poor (!?), plus its windows only and all that, in fact i'd probably have a go at someone for suggesting it!! oops lol.

but at the same time i love it. strange.

Looking at Zend Studio - I'm ready to buy this when i get time to stop and think. and for a paid editor i'd want full on super duper everything, and the support (if need be) to go with it.

There are plenty of free / freeware editors out there. I suppose everyone gets used to working in theirs.

Its not about finding the best, its about finding the one thats right for you. I use conText for all my PHP coding. Nice simple interface. Crimson Editor is cool too and would be my second choice.

I don`t use any in the list.

go with what you have been using. gets annoying? try another one. i use dwmx the most since we own a copy, main reason is you can totally coustomize it. lets me code in many different languages.

*edit

pretty easy to add your own commands and whatnot, interested?

http://www.macromedia.com/support/dreamwea...stomizing_dwmx/

want real customization? write the php editor yourself, vb, c++... keep trying to perfect mine, but there is no way i would use it in real world situations :)

• 2 months later...

well, i've been experimenting with a lot of Linux based text editors lately and i find myself settling down with Vim.

a close second would be Bluefish which is pretty damn good too...accept that it has a bunch of features that i don't really need...all those WYSIWYG features just adds to the clutter. i like wide simple UI's to work in :D

Vim was a little hard to get used to with all those awkward keys...but it's just like riding a bike once you get used to it, almsot impossible to forget even if you wanted to.

one very important thing about Vim (for me at least) is the fact that you can apply colour schemes. kinda useful when you sometimes sit for over half the day at the PC, coding because now you can make the background colour dark or even black and the text a contrasting colour...really helps maintain the 20/20 vision :P

well anyway, i just wanted to say that i did a search for Vim on WikiBooks and the content there really helped me.

the Vim manual has more detailed but somehow, the Wiki data was easier to read through.

hope this helps someone :)

I must say my favorite PHP Editor is now Quanta. (for Linux only... sorry, windows users!) It allows you to collapse if(), foreach(), while(), etc. in PHP, <form>, <table>, <div> etc. in HTML - allows for a lot cleaner environment. It's got support for PHP, HTML, JavaScript, and probably more that I don't even use. It automagically detects which language you're using - so if you've got PHP mixed with HTML, then it will let you collapse the <div>s and the PHP for() blocks, for example. It does syntax highlighting and gives you the syntax for a function's arguments after you get the function in place.

Linux users, check it out - http://quanta.sourceforge.net

but you can run it off Gnome but you have to install a fwe KDE components :/

i've used Quanta. good editor :D but i prefer Vim.

also Quanta has this really weird KDE UI...those chunky things with a lot of bevel on it :/

i suppose i'll need to use KDE to actually theme that UI eh?

I have recenty fallen in love with Kate :)

No, it's not a bird, it's a rather marvellous text editor for KDE. very good in fact, it's now my editor of choice. has all the usual things like sytax highlighting, collapsible brackets/tags, you can also save projects so each time you open a project all your files pop up in tabs too, rather helpful.

anyhoo, as the last few posts had mentioned quanta,i felt compelled to post. The irregular crashing of Quanta has put me off it, same with bluefish too. kate is great, never crashed once and i'm sure if it did, she would load herslef back up with all my files that were conveniently saved before exiting...

sorry, i'm dribbling now, it's all tis talk of the lovely Kate.

Vim is also good, but (as mentioned by just about everyone in the world) Vim is hard to get used to. so is emacs for that matter.

I reckon (and this would p*ss a few people of to say the least) KDE should take apart Vim, give all those awkward commands some easier access and call it, wait for it, Kim!

lol sorry i couldn't resist.

see, i could play with Kate while slowly breaking in Kim, now that sounds good. lol, maybe i could even synchronise them using KitchenSync. ok pmsl.

I reckon (and this would p*ss a few people of to say the least) KDE should take apart Vim, give all those awkward commands some easier access and call it, wait for it, Kim!

lol sorry i couldn't resist.

266032[/snapback]

Hahahaha, classic.

Still, what's the point? Just playing with GVim (along with this very quick and easy tutorial) is in my opinion the best way to learn Vim. I've toyed with emacs before, but was rather put off by the illogical keyboard combinations. I've known my fair share of Emacs purists, too, however. They're also the ones who wind up using Window Maker, or so it seems. :P

• 1 month later...

After much trial-and-error, I have discovered an IDE that is, in all aspects, beautiful. For those of you who have tried Maguma Workbench and said "I would love to use it - but I don't want to spend $90-$250", this is for you. Maguma Studio is a free IDE that is basically Workbench without all the little modules that make your life somewhat easier. Just a few of the little features of Maguma Studio:

- Syntax highlighting (naturally)

- PHP parsing, so you can test your scripts before deploying them

- Auto-indent code blocks (and RETURNS THE INDENT when you close the block!)

- Code-completion (with function syntax)

- USER-DEFINED function syntax - AMAZING!

- Open Source

And if you feel like spending $25, you can

- Use breakpoints

- Encode your code :)

- use CVS accounts

- manage your FTP servers

and probably more that I have yet to click on and see the "Only available in the Pro or Desktop versions etc. etc." dialog for.

And I believe it's out there for Linux as well - can anybody confirm this? I think they only allow you to download the file that matches your HTTP_USER_AGENT or something.

To learn about Maguma Studio - http://www.maguma.com/Maguma_Studio.502.0.html

You may have to register, but it's free and takes about 30 seconds. Find the download for Studio about halfway down the page at http://support.maguma.com/download

I know I'm going to dig up the $25 for the Pro version as soon as I can.

I'm surprised that your review is so good. It looks kind of childish, the debugger didn't really work all that great, and when I tried to close it, it hit a memory error that required me to kill it from Windows Task Manager.

And I'm not sure where you're seeing $25 for the Pro version. The only price I saw was about $84 USD.

i use dreamweaver MX 2004 right now, but i really like using IBM's Eclipse editor. yes, i know it's geared for java, but with a very inexpensive addon (i think i paid $14 for it), you can get all your VI keystrokes recognized. what's so great is that it gives you real-time debugging that is pretty accurate, and with the VI addon and color-coding, you can't go wrong... plus, eclipse is free, and it has support for just about all major coding languages - web based and otherwise (PERL, PYTHON, etc are all supported as well)

I agree with the folks that have said it's up to the individual's taste's and needs. Here at my workplace, I've implemented not only Zend studio, but the new Zend Platform. There really is nothing that can compare when it comes to PHP server managment and debugging. The most useful features for us here, is the email notification when critical errors are triggered. We can log into the platform server, see the same screen/error the user saw, click on debug, the file opens in Zend Studio, and steps through the code. It's truely impressive. Zend's efforts to bring PHP to the enterprise are working.

We've been using the beta of Zend Studio 5, and it's support for SVN (subversion), code folding and intergrated PHPDocumentor are great new features. For us, it's been worth every penny, espcially since we're one of the only advertising agencies in the world using PHP as our application server (most are Windows/ASP.net or Java).

And finally, our developers use Windows, Mac OSX and Linux. Zend Studio works great on all platforms.

And I'm not sure where you're seeing $25 for the Pro version. The only price I saw was about $84 USD.
ober, we're talking about two different products - you're talking about Maguma Workbench; I'm referring to Maguma Studio.

I know what you mean about the memory errors - Workbench was yelling about that all the time. However, Studio has no such problems. Studio does look kind of childish, but it's not enough to cause a problem for me.

see this link to get to the Maguma Studio page.

I went to the right thing, but you're right, I was looking at the prices for the workbench.

Either way, I wasn't impressed with it. The only feature that Homesite doesn't have that Maguma has is finding a brace pair (oh how I'd kill for that feature sometimes).

What I should do is ask my company to buy Zend Studio for me. That would kickass.

Thanks for the heads-up on the free open version of Maguma neylitalo! I haven't tried it before (workbench) but I will definitly download and have a play in a bit - I'm currently using PHP Designer 2005, but it has an issue with opening, and switching between open files, it hangs for a few seconds and its starting to annoy me now.

I'll download this, and possibly report back with my thoughts on it!

no problem - I found it in my travels of the Maguma website, and I was so impressed that I couldn't resist letting everybody know. When you find a piece of software like that, you just can't keep it a secret.

EDIT: I've been using PHP Designer 2005 lately, too, but Maguma kicks the crap out of it. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Textpad!

When that ain't good enough, I use PHPFreaks.com for reference!

That aside, I use WeBuilder 2005... I like it. The others are two cumbersome for my newbie skills...

I really do try to do it all in text because I believe that is clearly the best way to learn ANY language...