Photo

Which PHP-Editor do you think is the best?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
322 replies to this topic

Poll: Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best? (372 member(s) have cast votes)

Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?

1. Dreamweaver (109 votes [29.30%])

Percentage of vote: 29.30%

2. Maguma (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Komodo (7 votes [1.88%])

Percentage of vote: 1.88%

4. PHP Designer (27 votes [7.26%])

Percentage of vote: 7.26%

5. Eclipse (21 votes [5.65%])

Percentage of vote: 5.65%

6. Homesite (1 votes [0.27%])

Percentage of vote: 0.27%

7. PHPEdit (8 votes [2.15%])

Percentage of vote: 2.15%

8. Quanta Plus (5 votes [1.34%])

Percentage of vote: 1.34%

9. Vim (14 votes [3.76%])

Percentage of vote: 3.76%

10. BBEdit (4 votes [1.08%])

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

11. Zend Studio (25 votes [6.72%])

Percentage of vote: 6.72%

12. Other (85 votes [22.85%])

Percentage of vote: 22.85%

13. Notepad++ (49 votes [13.17%])

Percentage of vote: 13.17%

14. HTML Kit (7 votes [1.88%])

Percentage of vote: 1.88%

15. Netbeans (10 votes [2.69%])

Percentage of vote: 2.69%

Vote

#41 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:54 PM

I'm surprised that your review is so good. It looks kind of childish, the debugger didn't really work all that great, and when I tried to close it, it hit a memory error that required me to kill it from Windows Task Manager.

And I'm not sure where you're seeing $25 for the Pro version. The only price I saw was about $84 USD.

Info: PHP Manual

#42 obsidian

obsidian
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:06 PM

i use dreamweaver MX 2004 right now, but i really like using IBM's Eclipse editor. yes, i know it's geared for java, but with a very inexpensive addon (i think i paid $14 for it), you can get all your VI keystrokes recognized. what's so great is that it gives you real-time debugging that is pretty accurate, and with the VI addon and color-coding, you can't go wrong... plus, eclipse is free, and it has support for just about all major coding languages - web based and otherwise (PERL, PYTHON, etc are all supported as well)
You can't win, you can't lose, you can't break even... you can't even get out of the game.

<?php
while (count($life->getQuestions()) > 0)
{   $life->study(); } ?>
  LINKS: PHP: Manual MySQL: Manual PostgreSQL: Manual (X)HTML: Validate It! CSS: A List Apart | IE bug fixes | Zen Garden | Validate It! JavaScript: Reference Cards RegEx: Everything RegEx

#43 widgetapps

widgetapps
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 04 October 2005 - 03:19 PM

I agree with the folks that have said it's up to the individual's taste's and needs. Here at my workplace, I've implemented not only Zend studio, but the new Zend Platform. There really is nothing that can compare when it comes to PHP server managment and debugging. The most useful features for us here, is the email notification when critical errors are triggered. We can log into the platform server, see the same screen/error the user saw, click on debug, the file opens in Zend Studio, and steps through the code. It's truely impressive. Zend's efforts to bring PHP to the enterprise are working.

We've been using the beta of Zend Studio 5, and it's support for SVN (subversion), code folding and intergrated PHPDocumentor are great new features. For us, it's been worth every penny, espcially since we're one of the only advertising agencies in the world using PHP as our application server (most are Windows/ASP.net or Java).

And finally, our developers use Windows, Mac OSX and Linux. Zend Studio works great on all platforms.

#44 neylitalo

neylitalo
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,854 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 04 October 2005 - 05:47 PM

And I'm not sure where you're seeing $25 for the Pro version. The only price I saw was about $84 USD.

ober, we're talking about two different products - you're talking about Maguma Workbench; I'm referring to Maguma Studio.

I know what you mean about the memory errors - Workbench was yelling about that all the time. However, Studio has no such problems. Studio does look kind of childish, but it's not enough to cause a problem for me.

see this link to get to the Maguma Studio page.
http://nealylitalo.net - My personal website, and home of The Netizen's Journal.

#45 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:26 PM

I went to the right thing, but you're right, I was looking at the prices for the workbench.

Either way, I wasn't impressed with it. The only feature that Homesite doesn't have that Maguma has is finding a brace pair (oh how I'd kill for that feature sometimes).

What I should do is ask my company to buy Zend Studio for me. That would kickass.

Info: PHP Manual

#46 Kris

Kris
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,755 posts
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted 04 October 2005 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for the heads-up on the free open version of Maguma neylitalo! I haven't tried it before (workbench) but I will definitly download and have a play in a bit - I'm currently using PHP Designer 2005, but it has an issue with opening, and switching between open files, it hangs for a few seconds and its starting to annoy me now.

I'll download this, and possibly report back with my thoughts on it!

#47 neylitalo

neylitalo
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,854 posts
  • LocationMichigan, USA

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:42 PM

no problem - I found it in my travels of the Maguma website, and I was so impressed that I couldn't resist letting everybody know. When you find a piece of software like that, you just can't keep it a secret.

EDIT: I've been using PHP Designer 2005 lately, too, but Maguma kicks the crap out of it. :)
http://nealylitalo.net - My personal website, and home of The Netizen's Journal.

#48 Gast

Gast
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 131 posts
  • LocationSouth East England

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:24 AM

Like others have said, I have only used Dreamweaver MX. However, I don't use that anymore...I used Dreamweaver 8!
OS and Internet Specs:
Windows XP (with SP2), 1680x1050, PHP 4, MySQL 3, Internet Explorer 6 &7 /FireFox 2.0/Opera 9.2

Tutorials:
Simple Introduction to AJAX and XMLHttpRequest
Creating Live Data with AJAX Making a Google Suggest like application

#49 Javizy

Javizy
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 02:05 AM

Nobody come across Dev-PHP2? It's free, has your standard text editor features like syntax highlighting, and allows you to preview your php sites without installing a web server. I'd give it a thumbs up.

#50 AV1611

AV1611
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 997 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 02:50 AM

Textpad!

When that ain't good enough, I use PHPFreaks.com for reference!

That aside, I use WeBuilder 2005... I like it. The others are two cumbersome for my newbie skills...

I really do try to do it all in text because I believe that is clearly the best way to learn ANY language...

#51 Kris

Kris
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,755 posts
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:02 PM

Didn't realise how long ago I posted on this thread, but as its been bumped up again I thought I'd update - I now, and have done for a while used Maguma Studio (the open source one) since Neylitalo pointed it out. And on my Mac I use Komodo, which has some pretty nice features!

#52 yarnold

yarnold
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 67 posts
  • LocationWorcester, England

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:34 AM

Personally I use Komodo 3.2 and it's the best editor I've come across in a long time. Well worth the (small) home use fee, anyway. I like:

- Customisable syntax highlighting
- Syntax checking
- Auto indentations

Edward Yarnold
PHP/MySQL/Javascript Programmer
http://www.twixcoding.com

#53 daiwa

daiwa
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:18 PM

yes well i'll weight in and ZDE Pro version 5.1 is great if your doing web application the profiller will help you optimize with ease and the code completion and objects handling and the like is above anything else i ever tried.

#54 Honoré

Honoré
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 66 posts
  • LocationAntwerp - Belgium

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:32 PM

I'm using both Zend Studio 5.1 Enterprise and Dreamweaver MX 2004, together they do what I need.
For PHP debugging and profiling the Zend Studio is absolutely great. And Dreamweaver is far better for the HTML part and page layout development.

#55 Gaia

Gaia
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 95 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 17 March 2006 - 10:39 PM

Not sure if i already posted in this topic or not, but I use PHP Designer 2006.

#56 Liquid-Fire

Liquid-Fire
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 May 2006 - 02:28 PM

Maybe you guys can help me on seeing what the big differences are between the Zend Stanard and Professional and which one I should get. I Guess I will just tell you alittle bit about the project I am going to be on working.

I am involved wiht a team of programmer work on build a game. Now I got involved with this team as a C++ Programmer but now I am wanting to make a switch to web development fo r the team as we can use it. One thing we have been doing it looking fo rsome web based project management tools and there are really not many that are stable of have good features, the only one that I have found that has been worth trying is GForge, that does not havea high monthly fee per developer. THe problem I am having with GForge is that it is a pain to install and I have asked one quest on GForge forums with no reply in over 1 week, they have a horrible online support. This has driven me to start working on my own Project Management toll in PHP/MySQL. I am planning to build a full feature project management tool, here is a list of just a handful of feature that are planned with more to come( some features are not designed my my of team in mind because i might be releasing this to the public since i know how hard it is to find a descent one ):
  • Everything is going to be under on name be it a "company" of just a small team, whatever.
  • The main "company" and sub-companies can have as many sub-companies as they want so you could use this to seperate different divisions and since you can have an unlimited hierarchy You can host mutliple "companies" with mutliple divisions
  • Project can be under any "company" or sub-company
  • Project have th eoption to flow downward or not( a project under a "company/sub-company" with a division or somthing under it can be global to everything under the "company"{ or you can keep it private to th3e just the "company"
  • you can assign tasks, bug fixing, meetings, etc...(not sure what else is need) to Projects.
  • with meeting, you can create a meeting for everyone in a project, division, or compnay just by selecting it in the metting setup page or you can just puick the poeple ono by ono that need to be at the meeting
  • when meeting are created, an e-mail is sent out to everyone involved in the meeting, plus the home page for the user will show weather or not he has meeting in the furture.
  • might create a script top when you create a project you can create whatever number of fields and they can be whatever they want however this might not work out that easily and php/mysql experiance might be nesscary if you wan toto create custom task, bug tracking, etc... screen if you don't like the default one i will be providing
that is just a small list of the major features i am going to be implementing. Do you think I will get my moneys worht if i spend the extra 100 on the Porfessional verion of Zend

#57 Koobi

Koobi
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 419 posts
  • LocationColombo, Sri Lanka | South Asia

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:22 PM

i know this is an old topic but i just came accross it and wanted to post :)

QUOTE(theverychap @ Aug 12 2005, 05:42 AM)
Vim is also good, but (as mentioned by just about everyone in the world) Vim is hard to get used to. so is emacs for that matter.

I reckon (and this would p*ss a few people of to say the least) KDE should take apart Vim, give all those awkward commands some easier access and call it, wait for it, Kim!
lol sorry i couldn't resist.

see, i could play with Kate while slowly breaking in Kim, now that sounds good. lol, maybe i could even synchronise them using KitchenSync. ok pmsl.

yeah vim is a bit awkward to get used to but once you do it's amazing. you don't have to take your hands off the alphabet keys to do ANYTHING in the editor. every function has a keybinding within that bunch of keys.

and there's a kvim hehe i guess someone read theverychap's post :)
kvim at freshmeat
kvim at slashdot

QUOTE(Arenium @ Aug 16 2005, 11:28 PM)
Hahahaha, classic.

Still, what's the point? Just playing with GVim (along with this very quick and easy tutorial) is in my opinion the best way to learn Vim. I've toyed with emacs before, but was rather put off by the illogical keyboard combinations. I've known my fair share of Emacs purists, too, however. They're also the ones who wind up using Window Maker, or so it seems. :P

there's also cream for those who don't like to get down and dirty with vim.

personally i think it might be better to whoever wants to learn vim to get used to vim straight away before they build up habits that might impede using vim.
i hated vim in the beginning, but it does miracles now! :)

Vim at the wikipedia

#58 cmgmyr

cmgmyr
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 July 2006 - 01:36 AM

I know it's an old topic, but oh well.

Dreamweaver 8...great for PHP...even better with CSS!

PHP designer for computers without Dreamweaver.

-Chris

#59 Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, Ohio

Posted 12 July 2006 - 02:10 PM

I use PHP Designer 2006. I stumbled across this software through php-editors.com, and haven't looked back. PHP Designer 2005 was nice, but 2006 has some improvements. My favorite part is that it actually uses proper syntax highlighting colors, which many free editors don't seem to support for some reason.
The Oldiesmann
SMF Project Manager
SMF+Gallery2 - Beta3.1 now available

#60 obsidian

obsidian
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 July 2006 - 02:55 PM

PHP Designer 2006, Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 and SCitE are my main editors of choice. i do agree that Dreamweaver 8 is insanely helpful when it comes to CSS... just don't use the generated code (especially markup), or you'll be in for some trouble :lol:
You can't win, you can't lose, you can't break even... you can't even get out of the game.

<?php
while (count($life->getQuestions()) > 0)
{   $life->study(); } ?>
  LINKS: PHP: Manual MySQL: Manual PostgreSQL: Manual (X)HTML: Validate It! CSS: A List Apart | IE bug fixes | Zen Garden | Validate It! JavaScript: Reference Cards RegEx: Everything RegEx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users