Which PHP-Editor do you think is the best?

briananderson

Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?  

372 members have voted

1. 1. Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?

• Dreamweaver
    • Maguma
    • Komodo
    • PHP Designer
    • Eclipse
    • Homesite
    • PHPEdit
    • Quanta Plus
    • Vim
    • BBEdit
    • Zend Studio
    • Other
    • Notepad++
    • HTML Kit
    • Netbeans

I work on both the PC and the Mac depending on where i'm working, so I use DW - but after toying with textmate, I must say I'll probably jump ship once there's a PC version or a good enough equivalent. I LOVE the functionality you get out of just the tab key when creating functions/classes and when you do quotes, the closing quote gets written automatically with the cursor jumping right in the middle...

Download PHP Designer 2007... it does all that and more.  I've recently switched to it and I won't be going back anytime soon.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find that I'm moving to pspad... it got tons of little tools, but I can just ignore them... :P

It would become perfect if they do 3 things:

1. create a lite version (without those small tools such Eye Dropper, Color Translator or Lorem Ipsum generator) they would at least make a config to make them invisible

2. Put code snippets (that funny auto code that TextMate got)

3. Code folding

Ooops, sorry

PS Pad already got code snippets, but it's a bit different of TextMate (it's such code completition)

and It got a very nice line bookmarking system, and for me it's better than code folding.

now they just need to make it cleaner making a way to hide those tons of little tools... but this is the way: ignore them.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use dreamweaver for php coding. But now I have stopped using DW for php. I use maguma open studio.

Free yet the most advanced. It offers exactly what I need. Intellisense for both native and user functions. Cool class wizard for not only creating and manage classes, but also for understanding new codes. It even supports phpdoc comment syntax which simplifies writing documentation.

It does have some minus points. It's still buggy while closing the program sometimes. Otherwize perfect.

Well Dreamweaver; mainly because it's the only designer I can find that works for the Mac. On the PC I have used software like Notepad++, PHP Designer, and PHP Edit; as well as Quanta Plus on Linux, but none of them really have the complete interface Dreamweaver does. No other software I've used has the software tree Dreamweaver does, which is really convenient and necessary to me. Few others highlight the code properly that Dreamweaver does, and the ones that do don't have a file tree.

Well DW is good however, I think that it's not a php editor. It's just a WYSIWYG editor with php syntax highlighting. You might argue with that but I have used nearly all (I didn't used Maguma, Komodo and BBEdit) the php editors listed here (even the ones that are still beta:). I can honestly say that if you want to go lazy and do the less writing and more sleeping, you should really choose DW. Which has great features like writing code and others. However if you really look to do everything in your project as yourself and you want full control of what's happening, you should try something "better". DW has only support for pure php functions. It does not complete your own classes, which is something really disturbing if you're used to use code completing like me.

PHPed, PHPEclipse, PDT ZDE (my favorite) or even VIM (my "new" favorite) are real php editors. It was sad to not see Emacs here, they are really life changers if you have the patience and the power to keep pushing on meta and ctrl keys. While Emacs and VIM are not IDE's just "editors" they have great features too.

Anyway I suggest everyone to give a try to Zend Studio or PDT (again Zend's eclipse based php developement tool). If you have the patience or bored using windows as you os like me try vim or emacs. They can really change your life (You will love to cut and paste rectangular block with vim, I'm sure:)

• 4 weeks later...

Notepad ftw!

No offense, but I think that's stupid. You won't get things like syntax highlighting, automatic indention, line numbers etc. You aren't a better/cooler developer just because you make the work harder for yourself.

Well since I'm used to coding in notepad, I don't need to rely on syntax highlighting.

And I HATE indention. It's a waste of my computer's precious little bytes!

Yeah you say so, but I've seen plenty of examples where syntax highlighting would have given an error away in the help forums. It's not about relying on it. I can code without as well, but why make the work more difficult that necessary? Also, it's really annoying to read code if it is not properly formatted (i.e. indented) - I'm quite sure a lot of other people will agree with me on that one. Beyond being annoying it'll also make it harder, especially if you don't have more advanced features such as matching brackets and such.

Yeah you say so, but I've seen plenty of examples where syntax highlighting would have given an error away in the help forums. It's not about relying on it. I can code without as well, but why make the work more difficult that necessary? Also, it's really annoying to read code if it is not properly formatted (i.e. indented) - I'm quite sure a lot of other people will agree with me on that one. Beyond being annoying it'll also make it harder, especially if you don't have more advanced features such as matching brackets and such.

Yeah well it works fine for me, and it's the fastest/least-bloated editor in Windows.

Oh, and since you say Windows sucks then how come you're using Notepad?
Are you really dumb, or just playing dumb? In any case, read the rest of the post so you don't make yourself look so stupid. I'm not going to repeat myself here just to please you, sorry.

In any case, I'm pretty sure the poll meant best editor used in WINDOWS, since almost all of the editors listed only works in WINDOWS.

In Linux, I would use vi. So there.

Oh, and since you say Windows sucks then how come you're using Notepad?
Are you really dumb, or just playing dumb? In any case, read the rest of the post so you don't make yourself look so stupid. I'm not going to repeat myself here just to please you, sorry.

In any case, I'm pretty sure the poll meant best editor used in WINDOWS, since almost all of the editors listed only works in WINDOWS.

Huh, what are you talking about?

Dreamweaver works for Mac too. Komodo is for Linux and Mac as well. Eclipse works for Linux and Mac as well. Quanta Plus is exclusive to Linux. Vi(m) is for Linux as well and is more often associated with Unix than Windows. BBedit is exclusive to Mac. Zend Studio is for Linux and Mac as well. That's 64% of the editors you could select from that are either not exclusively available to Windows or not available to Windows at all.

Perhaps you should do your research a little better before calling people dumb and stupid so you won't end up looking stupid yourself.

Besides, I'm not going to read nine pages of whatever arbitrary editor people like.

Also, it still doesn't explain why you'd use Notepad when you think Windows sucks. It doesn't make sense to have Windows installed (and use it) if you think it sucks.