Photo

Which PHP-Editor do you think is the best?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
322 replies to this topic

Poll: Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best? (372 member(s) have cast votes)

Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?

1. Dreamweaver (109 votes [29.30%])

Percentage of vote: 29.30%

2. Maguma (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Komodo (7 votes [1.88%])

Percentage of vote: 1.88%

4. PHP Designer (27 votes [7.26%])

Percentage of vote: 7.26%

5. Eclipse (21 votes [5.65%])

Percentage of vote: 5.65%

6. Homesite (1 votes [0.27%])

Percentage of vote: 0.27%

7. PHPEdit (8 votes [2.15%])

Percentage of vote: 2.15%

8. Quanta Plus (5 votes [1.34%])

Percentage of vote: 1.34%

9. Vim (14 votes [3.76%])

Percentage of vote: 3.76%

10. BBEdit (4 votes [1.08%])

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

11. Zend Studio (25 votes [6.72%])

Percentage of vote: 6.72%

12. Other (85 votes [22.85%])

Percentage of vote: 22.85%

13. Notepad++ (49 votes [13.17%])

Percentage of vote: 13.17%

14. HTML Kit (7 votes [1.88%])

Percentage of vote: 1.88%

15. Netbeans (10 votes [2.69%])

Percentage of vote: 2.69%

Vote

#121 Daniel0

Daniel0
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:14 PM

Yeah you say so, but I've seen plenty of examples where syntax highlighting would have given an error away in the help forums. It's not about relying on it. I can code without as well, but why make the work more difficult that necessary? Also, it's really annoying to read code if it is not properly formatted (i.e. indented) - I'm quite sure a lot of other people will agree with me on that one. Beyond being annoying it'll also make it harder, especially if you don't have more advanced features such as matching brackets and such.

#122 Daniel0

Daniel0
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:20 PM

Oh, and since you say Windows sucks then how come you're using Notepad?

The fact is that Windows sucks.

#123 adam_

adam_
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:33 PM

i voted other...

"Notepad++" is my weapon of choice

#124 Azu

Azu
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 12 September 2007 - 07:38 PM

Yeah you say so, but I've seen plenty of examples where syntax highlighting would have given an error away in the help forums. It's not about relying on it. I can code without as well, but why make the work more difficult that necessary? Also, it's really annoying to read code if it is not properly formatted (i.e. indented) - I'm quite sure a lot of other people will agree with me on that one. Beyond being annoying it'll also make it harder, especially if you don't have more advanced features such as matching brackets and such.

Yeah well it works fine for me, and it's the fastest/least-bloated editor in Windows.

Are you really dumb, or just playing dumb? In any case, read the rest of the post so you don't make yourself look so stupid. I'm not going to repeat myself here just to please you, sorry.

In any case, I'm pretty sure the poll meant best editor used in WINDOWS, since almost all of the editors listed only works in WINDOWS.

In Linux, I would use vi. So there.

#125 Daniel0

Daniel0
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 11,956 posts

Posted 12 September 2007 - 08:59 PM

Are you really dumb, or just playing dumb? In any case, read the rest of the post so you don't make yourself look so stupid. I'm not going to repeat myself here just to please you, sorry.

In any case, I'm pretty sure the poll meant best editor used in WINDOWS, since almost all of the editors listed only works in WINDOWS.

Huh, what are you talking about?

Dreamweaver works for Mac too. Komodo is for Linux and Mac as well. Eclipse works for Linux and Mac as well. Quanta Plus is exclusive to Linux. Vi(m) is for Linux as well and is more often associated with Unix than Windows. BBedit is exclusive to Mac. Zend Studio is for Linux and Mac as well. That's 64% of the editors you could select from that are either not exclusively available to Windows or not available to Windows at all.

Perhaps you should do your research a little better before calling people dumb and stupid so you won't end up looking stupid yourself.

Besides, I'm not going to read nine pages of whatever arbitrary editor people like.

Also, it still doesn't explain why you'd use Notepad when you think Windows sucks. It doesn't make sense to have Windows installed (and use it) if you think it sucks.

#126 Azu

Azu
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 12 September 2007 - 09:44 PM

Nevermind. Forget it. I don't want to talk about it anymore it's making me lose my temper x_x sorry

#127 adam_

adam_
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:41 AM

And here is exibit A, the reason for M$ dominance in the world.

People say they don't like something, yet carry on using it! Seriously, if your car was rubbish you would change it, if your mobile was rubbish you would change it.

Why be any different with OS?

#128 Azu

Azu
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:41 AM

That's the problem with monopolies, they take away your choice. If you want to be a gamer, you have to use Windows. Or mess around with (potentially illegal) emulation software (E.G. wine), that may or may not work, and probably has serious performance penalties.

=\

#129 aredesigner

aredesigner
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 10:22 AM

I didn't try many php editors, but for me the best are Zend Studio (www.zend.com) and Codelobster php edition (www.codelobster.com). They are similar.  But Codelobster is smaller and has more handy interface.
And free.
Tried also Dreamviewer, but didn't like it.

#130 MasterACE14

MasterACE14
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,680 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:54 AM

i voted other...

"Notepad++" is my weapon of choice

agreed, Notepad++ Ownz  ;D

Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself. ~William Faulkner

#131 nadeemshafi9

nadeemshafi9
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,245 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:36 PM

after using dreamweaver professionaly XP style progin with syncronisation is quite good
DONT LAY AN EGG OVER IT

#132 charliepage

charliepage
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, Ohio USA

Posted 27 October 2007 - 12:39 AM

I've been using EditPlus for a long time.  I'll probably upgrade to ZDE, although I'll still use EditPlus for my Javascript, SQL, and CSS for the syntax highlighting.

I thought I was the only one. Unless a miracle happens ( :P ) I think I will always use EditPlus, so far I've used it probably 3 years now. Great and very underrated program.
Current InsaneVisions Projects

AdaptCMS (free-general CMS, 2.0.1 released)

#133 peranha

peranha
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 879 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:20 AM

Notepad++ is what I use.  So far it is the best I have found.
<?php 
ini_set ("display_errors", "1"); // At the top of the page for page errors.
error_reporting(E_ALL); // At the top of the page for page errors 
?>
Remember to click the Topic Solved button at the bottom of the page if this topic is solved.

#134 jordanwb

jordanwb
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 560 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:50 PM

phpDesigner 2007 5.5.2 is my favourite. I've also used Notepad++ but I like Designer better because it can list functions within a class as well as the parameters for functions.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be misquoted and used against you.

#135 Azu

Azu
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 20 November 2007 - 01:06 AM

I've been using EditPlus for a long time.  I'll probably upgrade to ZDE, although I'll still use EditPlus for my Javascript, SQL, and CSS for the syntax highlighting.

I thought I was the only one. Unless a miracle happens ( :P ) I think I will always use EditPlus, so far I've used it probably 3 years now. Great and very underrated program.

=o thanks for telling about. I think I'll keep using notepad for my PHP but I definitely have use for EditPlus. I can open up a 300 megabyte .SQL file in it in like 5 seconds, and do a mass Find&Replace like, INSTANTLY instead of it taking an hour.
Woot!

#136 Vivid Lust

Vivid Lust
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 456 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:08 PM

Notepad is by far the best :P

#137 trq

trq
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 31,041 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:55 PM

Vim all the way!

#138 obsidian

obsidian
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:58 PM

Vim all the way!

Right on!
You can't win, you can't lose, you can't break even... you can't even get out of the game.

<?php
while (count($life->getQuestions()) > 0)
{   $life->study(); } ?>
  LINKS: PHP: Manual MySQL: Manual PostgreSQL: Manual (X)HTML: Validate It! CSS: A List Apart | IE bug fixes | Zen Garden | Validate It! JavaScript: Reference Cards RegEx: Everything RegEx

#139 Kris

Kris
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,755 posts
  • LocationThe Internet

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:14 PM

I can't seem to get the hang of vim, though I haven't really had the time to sit down and learn it - I'm sure it's great, from what I have heard, almost everything is done with keyboard shortcuts - Which is my kinda game, but finding the time to learn them...

I'm now currently using Bluefish - Out of the handful of editors I have tried under Ubuntu, it works the best for me, though not perfect. I find that it takes a couple of seconds to open files regardless of their size...

#140 roopurt18

roopurt18
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,749 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, southern

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:00 PM

Some time ago I knew the basics of emacs, but I can't do crap in it now.  Vi is what I use now when forced to edit files in a terminal, simply because I remember the basic commands from when I was first introduced to it years ago.  I think the thing that makes Vi difficult, and possibly Vim, is the idea of jumping in and out of text-editing mode.  It seems so unnatural if you grew up in the windows world, but you do get used to it.

I use Zend for work by the way.  It's great except for one minor quirk, which irritates the Hell out of me.  It has back and forward buttons on the toolbar which would be awesome if they just cycled through files in the order you viewed them.  But instead they go through every. single. cursor. position.  If you just type out a string, you do not want to click a button 30 times to get back to the previous file you were editing.  If the tabs for open files never changed positions, it wouldn't be half bad because you would always know where the file's tab was, but they move around.  If there was a keyboard shortcut to jump back and forth between two files it would be forgivable as well (editplus has this feature and I love it).

I use eclipse at home and it runs great under linux; it was very sluggish under windows.  The only complaint I have with it is the intellisense (yah I know thats the MS version, I can't think of the other name right now) doesn't close after certain character strokes, like } ), etc.  What happens is I type a variable name in an if statement, the popup list appears, I finish typing the variable and close the if statement, but the list is still there.  Then because I'm not longer editing a variable or function name, the list goes to the beginning and I have to remember to hit escape before I hit enter or it plugs an unwanted bit of text into my code.  Then I have to go back and delete it before I can continue typing.

So far the best IDE I've ever used is the one that came with MS Visual C++ 6.0.  God I miss that IDE.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!
PHP Forms : Part I | Part II

JavaScript: Singleton

http://www.rbredlau.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users