Which PHP-Editor do you think is the best?

briananderson

Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?  

372 members have voted

1. 1. Which PHP-Editor, according to you is the best?

• Dreamweaver
    • Maguma
    • Komodo
    • PHP Designer
    • Eclipse
    • Homesite
    • PHPEdit
    • Quanta Plus
    • Vim
    • BBEdit
    • Zend Studio
    • Other
    • Notepad++
    • HTML Kit
    • Netbeans

[quote author=corbin link=topic=54859.msg1176952#msg1176952 date=1241480943]
Hrmmm....  Just disabled about 4 plugins.
I think a major part of the crappy performance might also be the crappy code I'm currently working with.  There are a ton of syntax errors in the HTML, so NetBeans is probably freaking out a lot.
[/quote]

LOL Sounds like NetBeans is working overtime busy squiggly-highlighting stuff... Just scrap the code and redo it from scratch.. put the pour thing out of it's misery  ;D

@Ken2k7
I used to be a Dreamweaver 8 user.. then one day I decided to give NetBeans a shot upon hearing about it from others (it's free after all.. bad comes to worse, I can simply uninstall it and go back to Dreamweaver). At first, I have to admit, I didn't take to it too well .. but eventually, it started to grow on me.. now I can't go back.. my only regret now is the 'residual' of buyers remorse (not that Dreamweaver is horrible by any stretch.. just lacks many of the nifty little features that NetBeans has). I haven't tried DW CS4 yet (probably never will though... but I hear it's pretty good).

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. Thanks for your input nrg_alpha. I tried Dreamweaver CS4 and hated it. It's so bloated and takes forever to load. The auto-completion lags so much I had to turn it off.

I used to use phpDesigner. I love that app. Whenever I'm on Windows (which is rare), I use phpDesigner unless I'm on SSH where I have Vim. It has a nice debugger.

• 1 month later...
I've also been using netbeans for the last few months (since I started my new job) and I'm loving it. they tried to get me to use Dreamweaver (we are the Australian distribution company for Adobe afteral) but after a week I hated it.

Being a long term vim user it took me a while to get used to the whole IDE thing, but now I'm using netbeans at home too. I love its built in subversion client.

For simple scripts I use notepad++ or kate depending on which os im working on. For more serious projects I use eclipse.  There is one thing im curious about a lot has changed since 2005 and more often I notice php developers switch to ide's instead of editors, is the percentage of users that use DW still this high compared to the other editors/ide's?

• 1 month later...
I've used:

Zend Studio
The last version I used actively for development was version 5 I believe, or the last compiled version right before they switched to an Eclipse IDE.  It was solid and I liked it, but not without some problems.  I did play briefly with their Eclipse version and at first glance was impressed, but never did any heavy development in it.

PDT 2.0
Slow, slow, slow.  There are a lot of things I like about this editor but the performance on my dev machine at work was terrible and unusable at times.

PDT 1.03, 1.05
These versions of PDT are much better than the 2.0 to date.  In fact the Zend IDE is based on PDT 1.05 from what I hear.  I used these for a long while at work until my projects must have hit a size barrier for my dev machine or something because the performance eventually started to degrade.

NuSphere's PHPED
I use this exclusively at work and it's very fast and snappy.  The debugging is very easy to set up with a 3rd party web server, which is a big plus.  It'll even break on XHR requests which is also nice.  There are a couple of features I really dislike about this editor, most notably the default options in the 'Find and Replace' dialog; they make me want to pull my hair out!

NetBeans
I just installed this a few hours ago because there is a project I want to work on at home.  I must say I am greatly impressed.
+ It defaults to spaces over tabs for indents
+ Debugging worked right out of the box, I didn't have to do anything (not even to get it to work with a 3rd party web server)
+ I like the phpDoc hints with extended descriptions about what they mean (yah yah I could look it up elsewhere but I'm lazy)
+ I like that it will copy my source files into another directory when I save them (one of my favorite features actually)
Give me some more time with it an I might find some things I dislike about it.

I'd say for me it's currently a tie between NetBeans and PHPED and if you didn't want to shell out any cash then NetBeans all the way.

Now if the PDT team could get some better performance out of that monster I might change my mind.

[quote author=roopurt18 link=topic=54859.msg1236983#msg1236983 date=1248863137]
+ It defaults to spaces over tabs for indents
[/quote]

I prefer tabs over spaces personally (and if I'm not mistaken, I think it saves on filesize that way as well).

I use NetBeans as my IDE of choice. For me, it's a bunch of the small details that make a nice impact.
+ Using classes for instance, hitting Alt + Insert (with your cursor placed inside a class) brings up a panel of methods (accessor methods [if your class properties are already defined]) as well as constructor, database connections and whatnot which you can auto insert ([i]nice[/i]).
+ variable names come up in a pop up when typing $this-> or when calling a function (after opening parenthesis, hit Ctrl + space to list any previously declared variables).
+ Macros are a god send. Simply bind chunks of template code to whatever keys and presto! Saves some typing.
+ Keyboard shorcuts like Alt + Shift + F auto formats selected code and Ctrl + E deletes lines of code (stuff like that... not game changers to be sure, but the devil is in the details imo).

Just some of the stuff off the top of my head. Yeah, it's a damn fine IDE to be sure.

[quote]I prefer tabs over spaces personally (and if I'm not mistaken, I think it saves on filesize that way as well).[/quote]
A file with tabs should be smaller than one with spaces.  But who is really concerned if the file is 1.4kb or 1.5kb in an age of TB servers?

I prefer spaces over tabs because there are occasions when you have to view a file in something other than your favorite editor.  When this is the case, not all viewers use the same width for tabs and some of them use extraordinarily wide tab characters, which make it harder to see all the code at a glance.

Spaces are almost always the same size though, which means my code always looks the same no matter what I open it in.

• 1 month later...
[quote author=nrg_alpha link=topic=54859.msg1262381#msg1262381 date=1251902408]
[quote author=sqlnoob link=topic=54859.msg1262240#msg1262240 date=1251885056]
none of the above

don't use any of them

i only use notepad and winsyntax
[/quote]

Trying to elicit 'torch and pitchfork' responses from the masses? ;)
[/quote]

Usually people who make these comments have only ever maintained their own little blog sites.

• 4 weeks later...
I still use zend studio 5.5, I tried the newer eclipse stuff, but it sucks - no line wrapping?  Zend says eclipse doesn't support it...  The way zend hints class methods rocks.  It works really well for complex object relationships, and really helps your code to be self-documenting.  I love the code analyzer feature and built-in phpdoc.  Good stuff

• 3 weeks later...
[quote author=roopurt18 link=topic=54859.msg1236983#msg1236983 date=1248863137]
I've used:

Zend Studio
[/quote]

I used zend studio in my last job, i dont think it was eclipse related but i liked it very much, i then had to use eclipse to develop drupal and found it useless there is not much the php package for eclipse offers at first glance. I did like the fact that at some point there will be all sorts of futures for it.

I prefer Zend Studio but would really like to see some more cool things happen with eclipse.