Question about Classes.

Lamez

I am working on my Pool class (base) and my FootballPool class (derived). I have this as my constructor

Pool.php

protected $pid, $uid, $pkid, $name;
	function __construct($pid, $uid){
		$this->pid = $pid;
		$this->uid = $uid;
		$this->pkid = $this->pkid();
		if(isset($_SESSION['picksInfo']['name']))
			$this->name = $_SESSION['picksInfo']['name'];
		else
			$this->name = NULL;	
	}

Now a function in my FootballPool class needs to call $pid, $uid, and $pkid. How can I do that?

I have tried this: Pool::$pid, but then I get this error

Fatal error: Access to undeclared static property: Pool::$pid in /var/www/core/includes/FootballPool.php on line 31

I am confused, because in the parents constructor, it is set.

So basically, how can I call a variable set in the base class from a child or derived class?

@OOP:

Okay, I was having trouble a while ago, but I had the variables set as private, then I was getting an error saying that it was not a property of FootballPool. I just tried what you suggested and it worked.

So if in the base class, the property that I am trying to access has to be protected and above? If private, it only belongs to the base, or that class?

@OOP:

Okay, I was having trouble a while ago, but I had the variables set as private, then I was getting an error saying that it was not a property of FootballPool. I just tried what you suggested and it worked.

So if in the base class, the property that I am trying to access has to be protected and above? If private, it only belongs to the base, or that class?

If it is private, only that class can access it. This rings true for methods too.

To access private variables of a class outside that class you have to use a 'getter' like so:

function getPid(){
  return $this->pid;
}

Then in your extended class or really anywhere now after you have instantiated the object:

$this->getPid();

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.