#1 alpine

alpine
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 756 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:06 PM

When i first started making my own website it was because i wanted to make an informatic website about cars and especially my favourite brand. Very few such sites existed on the web then, especially in my language, so i wanted to share the passion so to speak.

So i started learning basic html, copying and pasting javascript codes - assembling a website demanding html editing for new articles etc. *lol* , some really "hairy" appearances as i think back.

Step by step i eventually got my own domain name - started learning php (i was uncontrollable when my first php-switch worked and i got the magic advansed url in my browser), eventually mysql and now lately ajax.
Now my website application is fully home-made and have become very popular amongst other car-enthustiast such as myself here in Norway.

BUT - now it is scripting and developing web applications that is the fun part - NOT maintaining the content on my hobby site *lol* - doh.. that is boring, scripting is the fun part !!

Anyone else experienced this ?? ...it must be..

#2 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:17 PM

coding does seem to have a "magic" feel to it, kinda like a magician doing all kinds of crazy hand motions and speaking wierd incantations to weave a spell that does something. At least, that's how i look at coders: the new age magicians. 
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#3 nickholt1972

nickholt1972
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 30 posts
  • LocationBury, Lancs, UK

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:26 PM

yeah, I used to be a musician. Now my instruments sit behind a load of PHP and Flash manuals and the like.

While my guitar gently weeps..... I code.
Nick Holt - Future Guru

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users