Creating an eCommerce Script

tleisher

So I've come to the point in my scripting life where I need to make an eCommerce site. I would like to be able to generate prices, invoices and have people pay for them using a credit card, paypal or opt to send a check.

I know how to do everything but allow them to pay using a credit card... how can I do this? What else do I need to know? I know how to setup their prices and whatnot, but then how to allow them to input a card, how to check if its a valid card and then charge the amount?

hmmm, if you're not sure how to do that you're not getting your hands on my credit card information.  I'm wary of all credit card transactions online that don't use a third-party/merchant account method that I recognize.e.g. Verisign, 2CheckOut, or even PayPal.  Any of those companies have all sorts of methods for incorporating [b]secure[/b] cc payments - which is what your buyers would be happy to see.  Start by looking at what they have to offer (as well, they have pretty detailed FAQs and instructions for using their services).

Hmm alright. I wouldn't ask for payments before I knew what I was doing :P

Also, I found out something information on CCSV functions, are these viable functions to use when dealing with credit card information?

Also, what is the most popular and most secure card processing service? I've seen Verisgn a lot.

[quote author=tleisher link=topic=109600.msg441991#msg441991 date=1159304919]
Also, I found out something information on CCSV functions, are these viable functions to use when dealing with credit card information?
[/quote]

If you use a third party cc transactor, you don't need to be concerned with that, any more than you need to be concerned with secure data storage, https, etc., etc.  Using a reliable third party, removes the liability from you/your site for the million and one things that secure services have to deal with. Yes, you pay for it ... but you can sleep easy at night.

[quote author=tleisher link=topic=109600.msg441991#msg441991 date=1159304919]
Also, what is the most popular and most secure card processing service? I've seen Verisgn a lot.
[/quote]

You get what you pay for.  PayPal is the easiest to integrate (and anybody who buys from eBay will recognize it as reliable); 2CO is pretty simple to integrate; VeriSign is a royal pain in the butt.  The first two have decent FAQ (PayPal even has a developer forum); VeriSign doesn't have anything useful I've ever found.  What's best for you depends on your sales volume - all three have a different structure for fees so do the math to see what peace of mind will cost.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.