What is this SMF?

hanlonj

SMF is the forum software we use now.  Just like phpbb or invision, etc.. except so far SMF has proven to be much better than them. 

As far as I know, we have no official affiliation with the SMF team. Although, some of the SMF dev team and other SMF people did come here to help with the move to their software, as well as help out on setup and features and stuff, cuz you know, we're the shiz :) 

OK thanks for that. But can I ask another question if I may then on this topic?

I am developing a website called "AllThingsIrish" and has a forum,registration, log in  etc. I am trying to hone my php coding skills by hand coding the lot including the forum. My question is this, is it too difficult for a lone coder to write a good forum seeing as php freaks themselves use purchased software? I have to say, it has made me doubt myself.

John

We have not purchased anythink. SMF is a free to download and use. As it is open source.

You can create a forum by hand if you wish to. Probably take a couple of months to get a good basic forum up and running. There a books out now adays which show you how to create a basic forum. I ceated my own forum from a book i've read. Which is called PHP5, Apache, MySQL Web Developement.

[quote author=ober link=topic=109687.msg443647#msg443647 date=1159534117]
With all the security issues and such involved with a project on the scale of a multi-user, multi-input piece of software like a set of forums, you're better off going with a supported, feature-rich option like SMF.
[/quote]
definitely agree. i wrote my own forums several months back whilst feeling in one of those "i can do anything" modes, and it took far too long - and is not even a patch on things like SMF, etc. not to mention how many bugs there are.

best thing would be to download one and learn how to customise and build on it, rather than writing yours from the ground up - and that coming from someone who generally insists on only ever using my own code :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.