In Need of Robot/Dummy Code

dual_alliance

Hello,

I'm not sure if its called dummy or robot code but it sounds like what l need.  What l need is a code that once a day "-1" from the database,  this is so when the user is banned for x number of days each day the number reduces.  I would be very grateful if you could help me.

Thankyou,

dual_alliance

what you need to do is set up a PHP script to do what you're after (the query only), and then, you just set up a CRON job to run it for you. if you have shell access to your server, just type "crontab -e" from your command line, then hit "i" to enter insert mode and enter the following job:

[code]
0 0 * * * php /path/to/file/myFile.php
[/code]

basically, that tells the script to run at midnight every day, so if your script is updating your database correctly, you're good to go. obviously "/path/to/file" needs to be the path on your server to the correct location.

hope this helps

Sorry for replying so late.  Well l do have a type of cPanel but it is just a basic one.  True that is an easier alternative but l am making a game and l need it to give resources to player every 15 minutes so having a date would not be very efficient but it could work for the ban system but l would rather have it to display how many days they are banned for if l can help it.

dual_alliance

[quote]it could work for the ban system but l would rather have it to display how many days they are banned for[/quote]

Assuming you have a table called "bans" with columns (INT id,) INT user and DATE ban_ends, this query returns the remaining ban days as "days_left":

[code]SELECT DATEDIFF(ban_ends, CURDATE()) days_left FROM bans WHERE user = xx;[/code]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.