anybody know of a test MSSQL database to connect to and read?

lead_zepplin

I'm writing a web app that uses either MySQL or MSSQL databases.  I have a MySQL database of my own to test connection and program functionality, but I can't set up a MSSQL database on my server to test. I don't want to go through setting one up on my local computer and putting the app on the web and testing it that way, because I would have to change the code to specify a connection to a specific file on my hard drive. that's too much hassle and the code wouldn't be the same as the finished product which connects to a normal server (full blown MSSQL, not SQL lite or express or whatever) and given a url instead of url+filepath/filename or whatever other hoops I would have to jump through.

does anybody know of a test MSSQL database to connect to? simply connecting and reading data is good enough for now, no need to write or create tables. I can't find anything like that on google.

for example, the Northwind example database from M$ is very popular. perhaps somewhere it's on a server available to be connected to anonymously?

simply connecting and reading data is good enough for now, no need to write or create tables.

That's not exactly testing the application. You are aware that MSSQL & MySql don't share all common functionality? There are numerous differences.

• 4 weeks later...

This might work, but only if you are using the sqlsrv extension for connecting to SQL Server: You could sign up for the free trial of SQL Azure (Microsoft's RDBMS in the cloud) and test against it. If you are using the php_mssql extension to connect, I'm not sure this is an option. In case you are, by chance, using the php_sqlsrv extension, this blog post will get you started with SQL Azure: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/brian_swan/archive/2010/02/12/getting-started-with-php-and-sql-azure.aspx

-Brian

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.