What file format do you recommend for thumbnails? Why?

Guest kilbad

SOLVED:: regarding thumbnail quality

I used imagemagick for the first time with a gallery script I wrote for my site.  I used it to generate jpeg thumbnails at 100% quality, of both small and medium size (see http://kilbad.com/index.php?id=photos&album=9.24.06.heartwalk&page=1 ).  I feel like the thumbnail quality is terrible.  Does anyone have any recommendations for improving this? 

Would another file type be better?  Or are there some additional imagemagick convert command parameters I should be using? 

Just fyi, the reason I am using imagemagick is so I can batch convert all the images with the php gallery script without doing so manually.

Also, any other feedback about the gallery script, or my site in general, is greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
Brendan

[b]FOLLOW-UP QUESTION:: What file format do you recommend for thumbnails?  Why?[/b]

The server I am on has Image Magick and NetPBM, so that is what I am using, and it works for me.  However, I do want to know if there is a way to improve the resulting thumbnails?  The current command line I am using is:

convert *.jpg -resize x250 -quality 100 small_thumbnail.jpg

[b]FOLLOW-UP QUESTION:: What file format do you recommend for thumbnails?  Why?[/b]

I have read a few articles on the issue, but am still not clear as to whether jpg or png is the right choice?

[quote author=redbullmarky link=topic=109724.msg443132#msg443132 date=1159456515]
agreed with obsidian, although the support in IE for PNGs is a bit rubbish. JPG would be the safest bet
[/quote]

Well, the only real problem is if the PNG has transparencies. In which case, it'll replace the transparent area with some specific color that I can't recall. (I think it's white, but I'm not sure.) They say that IE 7 is going to fully support PNG, transparencies and all, but I have yet to try it out.

[quote author=neylitalo link=topic=109724.msg443134#msg443134 date=1159456969]
[quote author=redbullmarky link=topic=109724.msg443132#msg443132 date=1159456515]
agreed with obsidian, although the support in IE for PNGs is a bit rubbish. JPG would be the safest bet
[/quote]

Well, the only real problem is if the PNG has transparencies. In which case, it'll replace the transparent area with some specific color that I can't recall. (I think it's white, but I'm not sure.) They say that IE 7 is going to fully support PNG, transparencies and all, but I have yet to try it out.
[/quote]

indeed, IE7 does a [b]much[/b] better job with transparencies on png files

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.