Is it worth my time to learn a framework?

TheEddy

I don't believe you have to pay anything to use a framework.  I recommend you learn as many frameworks as you can and find which one works best for you.  CodeIgnitor was one that I recently was questioned about during an interview - also Zend Framework or even learn Drupal.  The more knowledge you have the better off you are.  Keep rockin!

I am leaning towards Zend but is it worth my time?  Don't I also have to pay yearly to be able to use their framework on websites?

Learning a good framework is defintaly a worthwhile investment as it pays off in the long run by making your code more consistent, as well as giving you a good base to build projects quickly upon.

Zend frameowrk is open source and licensed to be used free of charge.

You will find there really are not many downsides to learning or exclusively using a framework. Although you should learn what you can, you shouldn't utilize what you can. The whole idea of using a framework is to provide consistency across your applications.

ZF is excellent and I've heard a *lot* of good stuff about CodeIgnitor, as with Symphony.

However, I have only focused on a single framework (ZF) so as to become an expert in using and developing it with ease.

When you have a 'project skeleton' setup using one of the frameworks you will truly understand the number one benefit: rapid application development. Think it up, you can have a prototype running within a few days (of course dependent on the project, but you get the drift).

ON your second post, I would say yes it is a good idea to develop in a 'popular' framework. You see, if you use a popular framework the client has no worry in finding qualified people to further develop. Can be a double edged sword however because now you have given them qualified individuals. Of course, this kind of convenience is a great selling point and you'll likely be the number 1 goto person for further work on it.

Oh, something else. Before you decide whether to use a framework or not, ask the client if they have a preference.

I developed an application a while back only to be told the source code was 'too complex'. It was a large codebase and I used OOP (although not a framework). wtf!? My advice, if a client is non-technical yet picky about the source code, you should be picky about your clients ;)

• 1 month later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.