Access MySQL-PHP application from CD

b_kitty

i hope this will be the right place to ask---I have just finished working with a mysql-php application working properly on an Appache web server. Now, i have been required to export my application to CD's and give anyone the possibility to acces the application from the CD. The solution i got from other people was to convert everything in Access-VB but this is not what i want. Is there anny way i can avoid this solution..maybe build some configuration files etc?! I would really appreciate some help because i am feeling lost!!! ::)
PLZZZZZZ.HELP me!!!!

I spent some time on the web and i found some SW that made it possible but i'll need to buy the licenses.  one of them was http://www.indigostar.com/microweb.htm
anyway..money are not on my side..i was wondering if i could manage it for free ;D
Anyway..Thnx. for the answers!

You can always make your code portable.  You would want to pull it out and test it in a few servers.  You needed to create a txt file with a database dump, so people can create the database they need to go along with it

You also could probably stand creating a portable php.ini file with the settings that are required set.  You could put a note at the top which ones are required, and when they come to them in the php.ini file, just set comments beside them saying required too.
This will solved a lot of the issues with compatibility, and making it more portable, and the database dump, allows them to have the database information to create a database.

As far as cross server issues, if you test it in 5-6 windows, and linux systems, and any time you run into problems, build in some fixes that work for that system, when the whole thing works on 10-15 servers, then you should be fine.  Then just put a txt file with the required php version, and mysql version, along with documentation on how to install it into the server, or web host server
then zip everything up, and your ready to go.

It is obvious however, with any portable program, they are going to have some sort of web server, with the required version of php, with mysql installed on the server of the required version, but this goes without saying.  It would work on most web hosts too, if they accepted php.ini, and sometimes your program might require htaccess to run right, you have to figure out a windows alternative on anything in htaccess, to make it compatible with windows as well.

BM, I think you missed the point of what b_kitty was asking. its not about being portable in respect of putting on different servers, but being portable in terms of being able to run directly off the CD. the link Daniel0 provided to another thread has all the info necessary for b_kitty to do what he was asking

Cheers
Mark

• 2 months later...
Have you considered something like 'server2go' or 'XAMPP' which is a webserver which can run from cd, or usb. They generally include PHP, MySql, PHPMyAdmin, Apache. A simple plug and play. You can then store your database locally on the CD and people can use it as they see fit....dont know if this may help.

• 2 months later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.