Insert array variable into database

Rahul Dev

Hello Guys,

I want to insert an array variable into the database e.g

foreach($html->find('div[class=PostContent]') as $element)
	{
		echo $element;

$sq = "INSERT INTO articles(original_text) VALUES ('$element') WHERE article_link='$item_url'";
		$result = mysql_query($sql1) or die('Query failed: ' . mysql_error());

}

i want to insert the variable $element into the database but i'm not able to do so for some reason!

$element contains only a paragraph of text. how can i insert the variable $element?

What happens when you try? Are there any errors returned?

Yes i get the foll. error:

Query failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'rel_headline_cmt' width='670px'>

Don't surround it in single quotes. Try this

$sq = "INSERT INTO articles(original_text) VALUES ('".$element."') WHERE article_link='".$item_url."'";

single quotes don't parse and would insert the value "$element" instead of the contents of it.

I tried, i still get the error

The data isn't escaped, and the single quotes are breaking the syntax. You need to run it through mysql_real_escape_string().

$sq = "INSERT INTO articles(original_text) VALUES ('" . mysql_real_escape_string($element) . "') WHERE article_link='" . mysql_real_escape_string($item_url) . "'";

Variables will be interpolated within single quotes when inside a double-quoted string.

<?php
$field1 = 'name';
$field2 = 'address';
$table = 'users';
$array['index'] = 'Frank';
$num = 10;

$string1 = "SELECT `$field1`, `$field2` FROM `$table` WHERE `$field1` = '{$array['index']}' LIMIT $num";
// The strings above and below produce identical output.  //
$string2 = "SELECT `" . $field1 . "`, `" . $field2 . "` FROM `" . $table . "` WHERE `" . $field1 . "` = '" . $array['index'] . "' LIMIT " . $num;

echo "<br>String1: $string1<br>String2: $string2";
?>
Returns:
String1: SELECT `name`, `address` FROM `users` WHERE `name` = 'Frank' LIMIT 10
String2: SELECT `name`, `address` FROM `users` WHERE `name` = 'Frank' LIMIT 10

I'm still not able to solve the problem. I tried mysql_real_escape but now i get this error:

Query failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'WHERE article_link='http://www.lexpress.mu/story/20263-cour-supreme-les-accusati' at line 1

Any solution please?

foreach($html->find('td[class=rel_headline_cmt]') as $element)
	{
		echo $element;
		$sql1 = "INSERT INTO articles(original_text) VALUES ('" . mysql_real_escape_string($element) . "') WHERE article_link='" . mysql_real_escape_string($item_url) . "'";
		$result1 = mysql_query($sql1) or die('Query failed: ' . mysql_error());

}

On second look, INSERT queries don't take a WHERE clause. Are you trying to INSERT a new record, or UPDATE an existing record?

Actually its an update, so my sql should be like this:

$sql1 = "UPDATE articles set original_text = '" . mysql_real_escape_string($element) . "' WHERE article_link='" . mysql_real_escape_string($item_url) . "'";
$result1 = mysql_query($sql1) or die('Query failed: ' . mysql_error());

right?

but is still get the same error:

Query failed: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'WHERE article_link='http://www.lexpress.mu/story/20263-cour-supreme-les-accusati' at line 1

i have another similar problem, i cannot save the variable summary into my db

$summary = SummarizeArticle($item_id);
			$sql2 = "INSERT INTO summarization (article_id, summarized_text) VALUES ('$item_id', '" . mysql_real_escape_string($summary) . "')";
			$result2 = mysql_query($sql2) or die('Query failed: ' . mysql_error());
			echo $summary;

when i echo it,it is displayed correctly but when i save it it doesnt work! ony article_id is saved!

any1 can help please??

This thread is more than a year old.