Creating a product to sell

tleisher

So I've begun a project that I plan on selling, it's not entirely that difficult but I can see it fitting in a niche market. Anyway, I'm trying not to over simplify or over complicate things..like I'll create a function that prints an order form, and then everytime that order form is needed just call the function.

But I guess what my question is, how simple/complex should I make my script before it's ready to sell? I don't want people coming back to me saying "this is to simple, I could have done this myself", and I dont want people coming back to me saying "this is to complex, how am I supposed to customize this?".

So I guess for those of you who either have developed to sell or for open source, how do you know what complexity level to handle?

[quote author=tleisher link=topic=109993.msg443847#msg443847 date=1159553137]
I don't want people coming back to me saying "this is too simple, I could have done this myself"
[/quote]

If that was the case then they'd have done it themselves, if they've purchased your code, then they're past this stage.  As to whether or not they're alarmed by that fact post-purchase, is based on what you charge.  If your pricing scale reflects the product properly, then they won't moan, if you charge way over the odds, then they will.  If you don't try to fleece people (which I'm sure you're not) then you'll probably be fine.

Regards
Huggie

Well, I had origionally planned on making a free open source basic version with very limited features, then a more advande "Pro" version that has a lot more to offer for a very small price (20$ or so, the market is mainly teenagers, so I dont want to charge 200$ for this one thing, I figure 20$ sold to 10 people is more likely to happen then 1 person for 200$ :P).

So anyway, I just dont want to release the free version and be ridiculed because I forgot something, or I did something one way while someone would have done it another.

Example, I can create a basic PHPbb type forum from scratch with limited features, but my code is not nearly as complex as that of PHPbb (Either that or, they do a lot of redundent things to confuse people, like checking if a variable is set and if it is, setting it to itself? Dont see the purpose in that. Or checking to see if something is set && the same thing is set).

My main concern is having people either A) Find it to complex and difficult to work with or B) Ridicule me and all that I've worked for because I did something my way (and it functions the way I want it to)

Maybe you've hit the nail on the head...

[quote]
People ridicule me and all that I've worked for because I did something my way (and it functions the way I want it to)
[/quote]

If you're thinking about selling it, maybe you should be thinking about how THEY want it to work, what features THEY want in it.

Why not offer a free version and when people make suggestions for new features they want, if you think they're simple and easy, put them in the free version, earn brownie points for offering their requirements for nothing, but if they're advanced features, put them in the 'Pro' version.  That way, they'd actually pay for something worthy that they want.

Regards
Huggie

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.