403 Forbidden Error

magnusprime

I just installed a clean Fedora Core 5 system, with Apache 2.2, MySQL 5 and PHP 5.1.2.
If I create a index.php with phpinfo() in it, and put that in my webroot, it displays perfectly fine.
If I create a subdir under my webroot, and copy the index.php to there, it displays just fine.

Here is where the fun stuff starts.  I download a php-application such as phpMyAdmin.  I extract it, and move the extracted files to a subdirectory on my webroot, so I have this: /var/www/html/phpMyAdmin, and all the phpMyAdmin stuff in there.  It contains an index.php.  (I followed the instructions in the phpMyAdmin and created a config file for it.)  If I navigate to http://host/phpMyAdmin, I get the following error:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /phpMyAdmin on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

If I try a different application, such as a CMS system, or message board, I get the same error. 

Any ideas?  I think it has to do with my apache config, but I have no idea where to look.  Possibly the re-write rules?

Try this:
http://host/phpMyAdmin/index.php

If that works then you need to add Indexes to the Options (around line 273) in the httpd.conf and add/or index.php on to the end of the DirectoryIndex line (around line 327).

if it doesnt then I dont know whats wrong.

I don't know why this happens, but I think I have found a fix.  I also am using Fedora Core 5 and Apache 2.2, PHP 5.
I noticed that even accessing 'Documentation.html' resulted in a 403 Forbidden error.  But when I copied the file to another name, then overwrote 'Documentation.html' with the temporary copy, the error went away.  So I untarred phpMyAdmin in a remote directory and used Konqueror (KDE graphical file manager) to copy the files into place.  It seems to be working.
--Van

• 2 weeks later...
[quote author=vangelion link=topic=110007.msg451229#msg451229 date=1160716172]
I don't know why this happens, but I think I have found a fix.  I also am using Fedora Core 5 and Apache 2.2, PHP 5.
I noticed that even accessing 'Documentation.html' resulted in a 403 Forbidden error.  But when I copied the file to another name, then overwrote 'Documentation.html' with the temporary copy, the error went away.  So I untarred phpMyAdmin in a remote directory and used Konqueror (KDE graphical file manager) to copy the files into place.  It seems to be working.
--Van
[/quote]

I dont know why this worked, but it worked for me.  I just dont get it.  It doesnt make any sense at all to me.  Why wouldnt untarring followed by a move command not work, but using the UI to extract/copy/paste work?  Just weird if you ask me.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.