Adding categories to a new ecommerce site [was: help plzzz]

maestrotg

Hello everyone just wondering if someone could help me plzz.  Im trying to build a website which is gonna be a store. I would like it to have categories for my products also each product have their individual pages. I would like for the main page to have a search box (A store kinda like zencart but not that complex). Now i have a skeleton as to how id want it to look. But i cant get the whole category thing to work. I dont need anything extremely fancy. If someone can help me achieve this with php or some other how. If its alot of work and payment it required am willin to pay via paypal or something. Thanks.

Welcome to the site.  Please take a minute to read the forum rules, your topic was unhelpful and your post contained URLs and emails. 

That being said, you may simply want to look into an ecommerce CMS.  If you're just trying to get a website with categories, then download oscommerce or something and you'll be ok.  Otherwise, you'll have to TRY this, and come back to us when you get stuck.

sorry i have to admit i didnt read the rules. So i have tried oscommerce but i cudnt get it to work. Also can i use my own design with thi software. Reason bein i have spent alot of time designin this one i have and im kinda new to all this especially php which i dont understand at all. I was hopin to jus add the necessary changes to the design i already have. Thax to anyone who can help.

Since i cant include links anyone who can help plzz let me know so i can send u the link so atleast u can see what im trying to achieve

Adding categories to your site involves:

1)  Creating category tables (at least one, probably 2 or more)

2)  If you only made one table in (1), adding a category_id field to whichever table holds the items to be categorized

3)  Add a site section for displaying these categories.

4)  Add a box for displaying the active category/categories on the page that displays your items

5)  Add code into pages on 3&4 to power that site content

It's a complicated process.  However, categories are just like any other item property.  Just like you added the Title for these articles (or whatever), add a field for Category.  You SHOULD make category its own table, but that's the only "gotcha" in this process.

-Dan

Thanx alot for the response. To be honest u jus blew a fuse in my brain with wat u just wrote lol. but seriously it sounds so complicated and as i said im a beginner. If u can help me like i said i dont mind paying atleast to get the tables and id thing goin and i can probly get the rest done through help here or tutorials or something.

i wasnt asking for someone to write the code i was asking for help. If this is help

1)  Creating category tables (at least one, probably 2 or more)

2)  If you only made one table in (1), adding a category_id field to whichever table holds the items to be categorized

3)  Add a site section for displaying these categories.

4)  Add a box for displaying the active category/categories on the page that displays your items

5)  Add code into pages on 3&4 to power that site content

then is best i didnt ask anyways im out of here. Noone is helpful around here

Sorry, I forgot a step.

1)  Learn PHP.

Enjoy your stay at other forums, I'm a mod at the other 2 largest PHP forums, I'm sure I'll see you around.

TRY something first, then come back to tell us where you're stuck.  You are, at this point a help vampire.  Saying "I don't know PHP and I don't want to even try to learn, plzzzzzzzz help me" translates into "do it for me."  We've been on forums too long not to recognize that.  If you think you're willing to try it yourself, prove it.  Make some tables and show them to us.  Read up on how to properly categorize a PHP site.  Try to make a category table and a PHP page that shows all the categories.  You don't need very much skill for that, "category" is not a special concept.

-Dan

nice to see thats how you treat your visitors and members of this site. U stereotyping me becuz  some ppl come here askin for help and wanting yall to write it out? How can u be so ignorant? If i didnt want to learn php i wouldnt have taken up trying to build this site. Obviously if someone doesnt know where to start they gonna ask for help and all you did was write out a bunch of stuff. How am i gonna know if am a plain out right beginner? The reason people ask for help is becuz they do not know something not cuz they want u to do it for them. I said plzz to be polite but maybe u too much of an ill mannered naive fuck head to realize that.

Calm down buddy. There is a big difference between simply not knowing where to start and not knowing anything at all. You sound like you don't know anything at all in regards to what you want done.

The first thing you need to do is learn PHP, this is not something you learn along the way. Once you have learnt the language you will be able to come back and ask more specific questions relating to actual code. Until then, there is not much we can do but post very broad help like that provided by ManiacDan.

What the mods are trying to say is that you have to smart small like every body else with <?php echo "Hello world"; ?> as boring as it may sound to you.

Head jumping and attacking a big project is a bad idea, it's only going to make you frustrated and helpless, so start small and approach projects you can digest.

If you have no interest in learning the language itself then concentrate on the actual problem, which is getting a capital to fund your project.

Enjoy your stay at other forums, I'm a mod at the other 2 largest PHP forums, I'm sure I'll see you around.

Which forums are those?

maestrotg, we try to be nice and helpful, but I honestly gave you all the information you need to do this if you have enough PHP skill to warrant the attempt.  If you don't actually have enough PHP skill to start this project, then (as thorpe mentioned) you need to learn PHP.  Start small.  I already suggested simply making a "category" page on your website that allows someone to simply VIEW the contents of the "category" table.  Do that.  When you're done, make a "cross-reference" table linking items to categories, then try to figure out how to take your "view categories" page and make the categories clickable links to view the items in the categories.

Read that article about help vampires as well.  We can't give you more and more specific advice until code starts to appear.  We don't get paid to do this. 

@chaseman (and whoever else cares): I'm a mod at DevShed forums as well, though I've abandoned my other modship due to time constraints.  Nilpo (the super-mod of devshed) has started a new forum recently that he's offered me a mod spot at, but it's not really taking off like it should.  Probably because we're all ignoring it.

-Dan

I've always thought that online stores are probably one of the hardest applications to develop from scratch. (Like a forum) That's why there are so many CMSs out there. I recommend OpenCart http://www.opencart.com/ as it follows a good MVC structure, and would probably be a good learning experience applying your style to it.

As with your skills, start small (as others have said). If doing things like echo "Hello World" bore you, try making something a bit easier, like a blog. Try using OOP instead of the procedural way that most online tutorials teach.

And good luck :D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.