Strange session errors

ScottRiley

Hey guys, I hope you can help me with this, it's got me stumped!

I've implemented a log on system using session, easy, right.  Well, everything is working fine and as one would expect EXCEPT for pages I've uploaded recently.  It started a few weeks back when I uploaded soem files that use the sessions.  I got an error similar to:

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(tmp/sess_d5aca8cc3e34417c70537a107ec81e0a, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13)

Simple really, my hosting company has probably made some changes to their server, so I just need to change the session save path, right?  So I throw in session_save_path(../sessions);  (../sessions is a folder I created, gave it write access etc).  Things started working fine again until a few days ago, I get the same error:

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(../../sessions/sess_d5aca8cc3e34417c70537a107ec81e0a, O_RDWR) failed: Permission denied (13)

Now, this file has write access enabled etc, and sessions were saving to it for around 4 days, but recently its playing up again.  I'm stumped really, not sure where to go.  This is happening to all pages I have uploaded recently, I even copied and pasted the code for one of my files EXACTLY and saved it as a different name...same error.  The code hadn't been changed at all, so I'm sure its nothing to do with the way I've been coding my pages.  So, my next idea is, what if its the computer I'm working on?  What if my internet options/configuration of my hosting company's server aren't letting me write to the folder.  But teh pages that were working in the past STILL work now.  I can go onto a page I created MONTHS ago, log in, create the session and have this session information made available to me with no problems at all, so I eliminated this problem.

So, after countless headaches thinking too hard how to solve this, I turn to you for guidance and to tell me what the hell is going on.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Scott

it wouldn't be a browser setting, as any server errors are server-side.  browser settings and configs are client-side, and do not affect how the server processes anything.

my guess is that your host is continuously resetting permissions, but i've no idea.  i would contact your host about it, especially if you're on a shared hosting plan.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.