Help with Arrays and IP banning

Zoey

I'm trying to create a simple IP ban script, just a little function that I can place in my webpages.  I dont want to modify my .htaccess pages or just put the IPs directly in the code, because I want some admins on my site who don't have access to the code to be able to add IPs as they see fit if/when I am unavailable.  I created a mysql table called bans, which has the field ip.  I have something set up so it will add IPs into the table, and its working.  However, when I try to check it against the IPs for the current user, its not working.  I've tried a BUNCH of different things, so I'm REALLY looking for some help.  Thanks so much.

The function, at present:

$addr = mysql_db_query("blah","SELECT ip FROM bans;",$database);
$ip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
while ($ip = mysql_fetch_assoc($addr)) {
print ("Error Message");
exit;
}

function ip_check() {
$myip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];

$addr = mysql_query("SELECT ip FROM bans");
$banned_ip = $ip['ip'];

if(strstr($myip,$banned_ip))
{
  print ("Error Message");
  exit;
  }
}

}

Like that? Yes, I tried.  And no, not working yet. :/

Why in the world are you looping your result, just do it in the database, there is no need for a loop!

Please show your database table scheme, so I can see how your storing the ip! After I will show you how to check the IP or a certain IP range so you can ban by dotted range or the full IP.

Also some thing like below is better for getting the right IP!

[code=php:0]function get_ip ()
{
$ip = ! empty ( $_SERVER['CLIENT_IP'] ) ? $_SERVER['CLIENT_IP'] : '';

$ip = ! empty ( $_SERVER['HTTP_CLIENT_IP'] ) ? $_SERVER['HTTP_CLIENT_IP'] : $ip;

if ( ! empty ( $_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR'] ) && preg_match_all ( '#\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}#s', $_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR'], $f ) )
{
foreach ( $f[0] AS $id )
{
if ( ! preg_match ( "#^(10|172\.16|192\.168)\.#", $id ) )
{
$ip = $id;
break;
}
}
}

$ip = ! empty ( $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] ) && empty ( $ip ) ? $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] : $ip;

return $ip;
}

echo get_ip ();[/code]

me!

So I can still have admins enter IPs on the webpage itself?

I actually don't have access to the database, my webhost only gives me access to the code itself, so I just get to work with what I have.  All I know is the table is bans and the field is ip... would you need more information than that? :/

(But if you can't do it from what I have, the current way I have it works, so I'm okay either way :P)

========

That code you just added... so whole thing would take the place of $myip = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];?

Sorry, I'm confused now :(

Yes...

[code=php:0]$myip = get_ip ();[/code]

$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] <- will not always give you the correct ip, that's why it is always a good idea to check certain $_server variables so you get the correct ip. Like AOL users, $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] will give you the proxy ip not the client ip, which in the case of a AOL visitor would be found in  $_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR']! Many ISP(s) do different things, so you go through the most important first, then use the least important which gives you the basic ip when the real ip is not hidden by a proxy!

me!

[code]function get_ip ()
{
$ip = ! empty ( $_SERVER['CLIENT_IP'] ) ? $_SERVER['CLIENT_IP'] : '';

$ip = ! empty ( $_SERVER['HTTP_CLIENT_IP'] ) ? $_SERVER['HTTP_CLIENT_IP'] : $ip;

if ( ! empty ( $_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR'] ) && preg_match_all ( '#\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}#s',

$_SERVER['HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR'], $f ) )
{
foreach ( $f[0] AS $id )
{
if ( ! preg_match ( "#^(10|172\.16|192\.168)\.#", $id ) )
{
$ip = $id;
break;
}
}
}

$ip = ! empty ( $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] ) && empty ( $ip ) ? $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] : $ip;

return $ip;
}

function ip_check() {
$myip = get_ip();

$addr = mysql_db_query("blah","SELECT ip FROM bans;");
$banned_ip = $ip['ip'];

if(strstr($myip,$banned_ip))
{
  print ("Error message");
  exit;
  }
}
}[/code]

That's not working..

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.