Advice on php tutorials

crmamx

I first try to first find an answer to my problem via the tutorials, w3schools, tizag, internet.com, ect. My problem is I can never seem to find a discussion or example relative to my problem.

Example: I was trying to retrieve a db record and then have the resulting fields display in a form, where the user could change any of the fields data and then update the db with the changed data. Since the form name= variable was the same as the db variable, I assumed the data would "magically" show up in the form fields. No such luck and I was unable to find a solution in the tutorials.

So I turned to php freaks and advised I need to echo the value into the form field.

My question is what do you consider the best tutorials for php? Is there one that gives many examples? I can find javascripts for just about anything I want to do. Is there such a site for php where they can be downloaded or copied? The free stuff of course.

Thanks

You need to stop trying to find specific tutorials, learn some basics and then start actually *thinking* about how problems might be solved.

Lets pretend that you already knew how to retrieve data from a database and display it on a web page. Is it really that far of a stretch to think about how that data might be displayed within a form?

There is a good book in my signature (Hudzilla) that if read from beginning to end will give you a pretty good grasp of the language, from there, it's just learning to think like a programmer instead of constantly seeking out tutorials.

I first try to first find an answer to my problem via the tutorials, w3schools, tizag, internet.com, ect. My problem is I can never seem to find a discussion or example relative to my problem.

Example: I was trying to retrieve a db record and then have the resulting fields display in a form, where the user could change any of the fields data and then update the db with the changed data. Since the form name= variable was the same as the db variable, I assumed the data would "magically" show up in the form fields. No such luck and I was unable to find a solution in the tutorials.

So I turned to php freaks and advised I need to echo the value into the form field.

My question is what do you consider the best tutorials for php? Is there one that gives many examples? I can find javascripts for just about anything I want to do. Is there such a site for php where they can be downloaded or copied? The free stuff of course.

Thanks

My sister has a great book with loads of examples drawings, little puzzles and repetition. it's called Head First PHP Mysql from O'reilly. I can really recommend that book. Its really fun, full of pictures. :) Probably not extremely advanced but for learning the basics in a fun way it's great and in the end you can make a simple dating site lol  :wtf:

But i have to agree with thorpe that after you learned the basics (properly) you should be able to think in the right direction which should or can lead you to the answers or asking the right questions.

Thorpe:

I have read many of your replies to problems and I indeed would classify you as an expert. In addition I am sure most on here appreciate your devotion of time to help us not as experienced with programming problems.

Just a little background, I believe I do think as a programmer. In my past (I am 76) I have coded in Cobol, RPG, Fortran and Mapper. There, you know I am old. I have designed, help code and installed some of the largest Manufacturing Systems in this country. In my later years I was a systems consultant to the State of Virginia and a couple of other large agencies.

About 10 years ago I put up a simple HTML site. Recently my flying club (http://ecbiz71.inmotionhosting.com/~bayare27/) asked me to develop a website for them. I did but I could not do what I wanted to do and then found the science had jumped years ahead of me.  So I started going thru the tutorials on javascript, mysql, php, CSS, SQL and AJAX. But as you well know there is no way, in a couple of months or even a year, I could ever learn all of these languages or become as proficient as you fellows.

Recent example: I needed to check form input to see if the user had entered a value. That is not simple javascript. But it only took me a couple of minutes to find an example of the code I needed. Saved me from bothering you folks.

Another example: In trying to add or delete a record from the db, I need to know if the record already exists, ect. I tried the different mysql examples and never could get it to work. So I ended up doing it with if and echo statements. I know it is terrible code but it works. I would love to have someone review it and show me a better way but I do not want to impose unless I just can't get it to work.

I have tried several other forums and I will tell you that this is by far the best of them.

Thanks again,

Curtis

HI crmamx,

I can really recommend a book, The problem with most of the on-line tutorials is that they are not very didactic.

the stuff you just mentioned is in chapter one of the book i mentioned earlier :) ( there they explain isset()  empty() )

I really really like this one: http://books.google.nl/books?id=nJWN1dyxaJIC&printsec=frontcover&dq=head+first+php+mysql&hl=nl&ei=CEpLTeGzPMftOY_bhTo&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

HAve a glimpse in an online edition. it's real value for the money if you'd ask me

P.s. post the code you have in the php forum for review and ask if that is a nice way to go.

To me head first is squirrelly.

I bought, head first, Larry Ullman's php6 & 5  and Ullman's php 3rd edition in that order. It was all French to me until I got Ullman's  php 3rd edition, it's for people just starting out with php.

Some people don't like Ullman's two column style but it's Okay with me. It's a beginners book and it's to the point with the info in it that you asked for in your post.

If I had it all to do over again with my skill set, I'd go

Larry Ullman's  php 3rd edition. then

Larry Ullman's php6 & 5 and/or  Luke Welling & Laura Thomson's  PHP & MySQL.

Also I just got David Powers PHP Solutions and it's great.  It's like you build a site with a photo gallery with thumbs nails and a simple content management system, it addresses style also, kind of like the Zend css stuff. It also talks about problems that can arise when multiple people upload info to your site and how to fix the problems(some of these problems weren't addressed by Ullman or Welling/Thomson). Even though it's simple it is not for people without php experience. If you went from Larry Ullman's  php 3rd edition, then David Powers PHP Solutions you may be pleased, in fact with your back ground you may be able to go straight to Powers' book. Powers' php solutions first edition is available on the web and for cheap at amazon.

I previously was seeking advice on good php tutorials and where I could find good php scripts. Javascripts are plentiful but php scripts seem to be scarce.

I get the impression most don't value the tutorials and I was referred to a couple of books. I looked at them and like Larry Ullman's PHP 3rd edition and have ordered it.

But what I also found is he has over 100 free downloadable scripts here if you are interestred.

http://www.larryullman.com/books/php-for-the-web-visual-quickstart-guide-3rd-edition/

I think this is what he was talking about Maq

Right.  His previous post was actually a brand new thread, I merged it into this one because it's answering his original question(s).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.