Complete beginner question

lake_tuna

Hey guys,

I found this timeclock PHP program online. I'm interested in trying out this program, but I don't really understand MYSQL and PHP. So, I'm not understanding the first step of the installation guide.

"Unpack the distribution into your webserver's document root directory." from http://timeclock.sourceforge.net/install.php.

--> what does "webserver" mean? Do I need to have somewhere online where I can host files? How do I get a webserver and what else do I need to run this program successfully? So far, I have installed XAMPP, but I don't have a website of my own. TIA!

hey ronverdonk,

Thanks for the reply! I figured this out the other day, but it took me a day to find the details on the Internet. Only if you were here earlier.. it would have saved me a lot of trouble!

Anyway, now I understand that this webserver could be run on my computer with XAMPP or on a website if I have a domain somewhere. I tried some basic HTML pages with simple PHP codes, and the setup seems to be working.

I have another question. I think it would be wise for me to test stuff (this time clock program or some site I might develop) on the webserver on my computer. Would it be easy to transfer everything to an actual website on the WWW later? Would I just copy and paste everything and change URLs in the codes?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.