Colour coding code areas (Dreamweaver)

I have lots of code in one file. I really want to know if there is a way to make each part or certain areas stand out. Like give it a background colour, or format the code in someway. "Highlight" the code like you can with words in Word Processors.

Anyone know how, or is there any plugins? For Dreamweaver.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, you can do it in DW (I'm using DW 8.0), but you may still be able to in earlier versions.

Go to > edit >> preferences >>> code coloring:

Click on the type of code that you want to edit the color for then click on the "edit coloring scheme" button.

You can then scroll though the styles for all types of code snippets within your documents - on the right you change the color and background-color, on the bottom is a sample of code using all of the defaults for the various editable snippets.

This is a pretty cool tool if you have specific snippet types that you want to call attention to every time (all backgrounds default is white; text color default for php script block is "web" red; script functions default is web "link" blue; script identifiers/text default is black; script string default is dark red; forms default is orange; etc.)
So long as you know specifically what element type you want to have a new default color and background for , you can easily change them here.

Hmm, It doesn't do it for every function in PHP (e.g. echo/if/else etc) it just does ALL functions in general.

I was really wanting to highlight/background colour my work on the fly. Like highlight the code then chose a colour, so it splits the actual page up on the go.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.