Competition Idea

redbullmarky

you know, i just finished writing my first tutorial today, and added it to the tutorials on the main site.  I have a somewhat lengthly list of things I would like to be fixed/altered/added/removed as far as the tutorials aspect of the main site is concerned.  I'm also willing to bet that other aspects of the main site could probably be fixed/altered/expanded too. But I have a sneaking suspicion that none of that is really gonna take place any time soon...

so I can give a thumbs up for reworking the main site, as round 1 of this contest.

As far as I know, phpfreak more or less gave control of the site over to ober and steelman to fix/manage/whatever. They are supposed to (eventually) fix a lot of bugs.  I don't see why that couldn't include re-writing the whole damn thing.. or having it re-written via a contest like this.  But I guess if I was in their shoes, I'd probably still run it by phpfreak.

Now THAT is an interesting idea.  Granted, the main portion of this site is rather complex and VERY OO.  I think it might be beyond the grasp of a simple competition.  Besides... Ron and I had to sign NDAs to even get access.  A very large portion of that site is dynamic and there's no way we could hand over that much information to the average user.

good point - but how much [i]really[/i] would we need to know? everything that needs to be here is here. the 'theme' is here. the 'topic' (ie, PHP) is here. maybe NOT knowing things covered by the NDA might be a spark for creativity and new ideas, rather than copycats and improvements? when you strip away most of the complexities, all you're really left with is something that delivers news, articles and forums.

we could always redesign myspace.

set up a script to create several hundred million random pages that don't validate, and insert some random animated GIF's and cheesy photos, and voila! just joshing

as ultimately it's gonna need some proper coordination, i think it's fair to leave it to your, steelmans and phpfreak's discretion.

I am totally up for this idea! I'd be willing to help out any way that I could (hosting, ideas, etc.) I might even be able to post some of my work (which would be a paid prize to the winner) if the mods allowed it.

I think that this is a great idea and we should roll with it!

Later,
-Chris

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.