32 replies to this topic

#21 obsidian

obsidian
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:18 PM

hey, guys, i've been following this, and not only do i love the idea, but i'd be willing to help out with some of the hosting space for the entries. here are some things that might be worth considering as far as ways to "go about" it for starters. i've been part of some development things like this in the past, and they can be extremely fun:

1) Have an individual with either an idea or an existing site submit their own site for a makeover. there seems to be too much red tape involved if we were to go picking sites we think are crap and rewriting them. also, i'd hate to get too many people offended that an entire community is basing a contest off their crap :)

2) Have the contest moderator(s) split that submitted site or project into pieces that can each be tackled individually and tested thoroughly. Each of those pieces would then be a separate challenge of sorts. What I would love to see with each section, since this is a PHP community, is the ability to view all source code and have users rate each entry based on usability, design and coding standards.

3) After a pre-determined amount of time, each challenge is ended and the entry with the highest votes is deemed the winner.

4) All the separate challenges that pertain to the central site are then combined to rework the website, giving credit to the authors of the individual portions.

Really, what we're discussing here seems to be very like an open-source project, except, we have no project yet :D . The other benefit of moderating all aspects of something like this is that we can come up with very strict guidelines to judge against, for instance: each project could require their own version of PHP 5. if i want to require PHP5 OOP for one project, i can judge against that requirement. Also, all those specifics could be brought to the forefront, and anyone could review it at any given time...

I would be happy to volunteer some webspace to set up a competition like that to serve as the "judging" and "testing" environment. I could set up subdomains with PHP 4.3 and PHP5 respectively to help with all the different combinations.

I think this is what ober was getting at as well. Thoughts?
You can't win, you can't lose, you can't break even... you can't even get out of the game.

<?php
while (count($life->getQuestions()) > 0)
{   $life->study(); } ?>
  LINKS: PHP: Manual MySQL: Manual PostgreSQL: Manual (X)HTML: Validate It! CSS: A List Apart | IE bug fixes | Zen Garden | Validate It! JavaScript: Reference Cards RegEx: Everything RegEx

#22 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 04 October 2006 - 05:35 PM

Exactly.  You just worded it better ;)

Info: PHP Manual

#23 jcombs_31

jcombs_31
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:05 PM

I want a competition of who can send some work my way ;) $$$$$

#24 obsidian

obsidian
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:14 PM

I want a competition of who can send some work my way ;) $$$$$

well, if it gets rolling, i wouldn't be against companies paying a reduced fee to have their site be the one the competitions revolve around. we could put a cut of it back into PHPFreaks, but the rest could be used to pay the winning team a little bit. that would probably have to really take some time to get going, but i think it might be worth some thought.
You can't win, you can't lose, you can't break even... you can't even get out of the game.

<?php
while (count($life->getQuestions()) > 0)
{   $life->study(); } ?>
  LINKS: PHP: Manual MySQL: Manual PostgreSQL: Manual (X)HTML: Validate It! CSS: A List Apart | IE bug fixes | Zen Garden | Validate It! JavaScript: Reference Cards RegEx: Everything RegEx

#25 redbullmarky

redbullmarky
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,863 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, England

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:49 PM

just so this stays fresh, as people generally seem keen, i've got a bit of a suggestion to kick things off.
i see plenty of comments in "PHPFreaks.com Questions, Comments, & Suggestions" regarding what could be added/removed/improved, etc about this site. Sometimes I have to remind myself that there's more to phpfreaks than the forums - but i don't think i'm being unreasonable by saying that the main site possibly gets nowhere near as much attention as the forums.

So not that it NEEDS it, but the fact that everyone currently reading this has some sort of feel for phpfreaks, and some sort of opinion on how good it is - possibly with ideas for improvement. i personally think that the forums are very detached from the main site - leaving me not many reasons to venture there.

So whaddya reckon? Maybe launch a competition to design+build a new PHPfreaks (main site)? it doesnt necessarily have to be used, but would be a good exercise - and possibly even introduce ideas to phpfreak that were not previously thought about....
"you have to keep pissing in the wind to learn how to keep your shoes dry..."

I say old chap, that is rather amusing!

#26 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 02:12 AM

you know, i just finished writing my first tutorial today, and added it to the tutorials on the main site.  I have a somewhat lengthly list of things I would like to be fixed/altered/added/removed as far as the tutorials aspect of the main site is concerned.  I'm also willing to bet that other aspects of the main site could probably be fixed/altered/expanded too. But I have a sneaking suspicion that none of that is really gonna take place any time soon...

so I can give a thumbs up for reworking the main site, as round 1 of this contest.
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#27 redbullmarky

redbullmarky
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:59 PM

ok cool anyone else agree with that? would phpfreak himself have a problem with it for any reasons? does anyone who has a clue how to kick this off and hold it all together wanna start the ball rolling?

#28 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:56 PM

As far as I know, phpfreak more or less gave control of the site over to ober and steelman to fix/manage/whatever. They are supposed to (eventually) fix a lot of bugs.  I don't see why that couldn't include re-writing the whole damn thing.. or having it re-written via a contest like this.  But I guess if I was in their shoes, I'd probably still run it by phpfreak.

Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#29 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:12 PM

Now THAT is an interesting idea.  Granted, the main portion of this site is rather complex and VERY OO.  I think it might be beyond the grasp of a simple competition.  Besides... Ron and I had to sign NDAs to even get access.  A very large portion of that site is dynamic and there's no way we could hand over that much information to the average user.

#30 redbullmarky

redbullmarky
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:29 PM

good point - but how much really would we need to know? everything that needs to be here is here. the 'theme' is here. the 'topic' (ie, PHP) is here. maybe NOT knowing things covered by the NDA might be a spark for creativity and new ideas, rather than copycats and improvements? when you strip away most of the complexities, all you're really left with is something that delivers news, articles and forums.

#31 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:35 PM

I understand what you're saying, but I just don't think it's gonna fly.

#32 redbullmarky

redbullmarky
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,863 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:40 PM

we could always redesign myspace.

set up a script to create several hundred million random pages that don't validate, and insert some random animated GIF's and cheesy photos, and voila! just joshing

as ultimately it's gonna need some proper coordination, i think it's fair to leave it to your, steelmans and phpfreak's discretion.

#33 cmgmyr

cmgmyr
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:59 PM

I am totally up for this idea! I'd be willing to help out any way that I could (hosting, ideas, etc.) I might even be able to post some of my work (which would be a paid prize to the winner) if the mods allowed it.

I think that this is a great idea and we should roll with it!

Later,
-Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users