explosion of bogus posts?

michaellunsford

Is it just me, or is there a new trend to post completely irrelevant or stupid answers to questions?

What qualifies as irrelevant in my book? Here's a good example: Post a new question and some bonehead answers "I don't know."

OR how about a poorly rephrased answer someone else gave a post before? When I attempt to respond and someone else has posted, the forum says "review their answer before posting." Am I the only person who actually reviews the other guy's answer before hitting the submit button again?

Forgive me if I'm getting a little grumpy, but I've had about five of these today.

There has been a rash of these types of posts lately... I've seen them as well.  I do appreciate the ones you've pointed out, but to be honest, some of them were fairly valid responses... or they added a small change to the previous poster that added value to the thread.

And I think there are some that don't bother to review what someone else has written... unfortunately. 

There have been plenty of times i went to respond to a post and i spent some time and effort on it, enough to where when i go to click on submit and it gives me that warning, I get rather upset because damn, I just spent all that time responding, and someone beat me to it.  So I can see how people might be tempted to say "fork that, I just spent all that time posting, I'm sending it through anyways" -- But I do believe that it should be discouraged nonetheless. Why? Because come on, we're here to help and to learn, not have a post count race.  If you want to race other people to a million posts, go to one of the more relaxed boards where things like that are more the norm.

I really feel like this could be an appendix to Crayon's Etiquette post. Carefully written replies that have good information is one thing. blah blah replies that repeat the same information just get under my skin.

You're right about the post-count-boosters, though. It's just a good thing I don't have "smite" access ;D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.