[SOLVED] Photoshop, or fireworks for layout, and other

Ninjakreborn

I am wanting to find out which one is better for
layout design, buttons, logo's, banners, and light photo manipulation(very light).

Fireworks 8, or photoshop cs2
Which one is going to be the easier to use, best to use, and the one that is the most useful for Web Development related purposes.

completely depends on your preference. they both have strengths and weaknesses. i personally have found that there is [b]much[/b] more freedom when using CS2, but others would argue for using the full macromedia suite instead. now that adobe has bought macromedia, there won't be a whole lot of separation anymore anyway. here's the catch: you've got to use what you know how to use. if you've learned one and not the other, obviously the one you know will produce a much better result than the one you don't know.

What made me wonder, is people have told me photoshop is for people who do graphic design specifically.  THey said that fireworks is much better for Web Work for some reason.  Nothing but logo's, banner's(with logo's), layouts, buttons, and stuff used on regular websites.  I have heard fireworks works a lot better for that purpose, or is that not necessarily true.  I know for a fact that photoshop cs2 is more powerful, I just didn't know which one would be better to learn for web development alone.

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=110312.msg445919#msg445919 date=1159877793]
people have told me photoshop is for people who do graphic design specifically.  THey said that fireworks is much better for Web Work for some reason.
[/quote]

that's just a bunch of BS, if you ask me. all i use CS for is web work. now, let me pose this question to you: where do you draw the line between [i]web work[/i] and [i]graphic design[/i] anyway? when it comes to doing mockups and logos and banners and anything else you want to talk about, [b]you are doing graphic design[/b]. that being said, it goes back to my original post: you'll be best off with the tool that fits you. fireworks was [i]designed[/i] specifically for web, but with the newer versions of photoshop, you've got just as much ease of use in the tools (and more in some cases). i'm not going to tell you that you should or shouldn't learn one or the other as they are both great tools, but if someone is telling you that fireworks is better for web work, that is definitely their opinion and not based on fact.

They both serve the same purpose, raster graphics.  Photoshop is more advanced and has more options.  You want to start talking about what is better specifically for logos, then you need a vector graphics program such as illustrator or freehand.  Logos should be able to adjust for size, which vector provides.  It comes down to preference and what features you may like more when comparing apples to apples.

[quote author=jcombs_31 link=topic=110312.msg445968#msg445968 date=1159882201]
You want to start talking about what is better specifically for logos, then you need a vector graphics program such as illustrator or freehand.[/quote]

very good point. vector images are much better prepared in something designed specifically for it. something like corelDRAW is also good for this type of imaging.

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=110312.msg446034#msg446034 date=1159888633]
Ok, so I will do the layouts in photoshop, I will start the logo's training using coreldraw, freehand or illustrator.  I have them but I never thought about using them, when I had photoshop, but I am going to give them a try for that, thanks.
[/quote]You have ~$1,600 worth of software lying around that you don't use, and all three do pretty much the same thing?! Crazy...

photoshop cs2, fireworks 8, fontographer, authorware, director, dreamweaver, frontpage(I hate frontpage but have 1 client i had to help troubleshoot), flash 8, flashpaper, freehand, contribute, corel draw(never touched it), bridge, now gimp(thanks to advice from the guy), notepad 2, phpedit, illustrator, and a few other off brand ones that I havne't even installed. I just jump around, I mostly use php for developing, just in the code view.  ANd I use photoshop cs2, now for learning graphics.

[quote author=Crayon Violent link=topic=110312.msg446271#msg446271 date=1159905744]
hey i have an idea, how about instead of spending thousands of dollars on a bunch of stuff you barely use or worse, don't even use at all...
[/quote]

question is... how many young developers on the web truly have bought a license for all that software??? my guess is very, very few :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.