creating a routing system (mvc framework)

Destramic

im tying to design and make a routing system for my mvc framework but im wondering the best way to do this if anyone could help on how the design pattern would be.

im thinking i would have a route config file which would contain all the routes for each file

routes.config

<?php
$routes = array('news' => 'news/index');
?>

then the routing class which would get the correct route depeding on the request class and get the dispatch class to load the controller and action?

if anyone could help on the best way to do this that would be great...thanks

That could work fine,

Though it all depends on your projects structure. This is something you would design into your application, depending on how abtract you want your components. (I'm guessing you've read a little about OOP and MVC structures).

You could have it in config as you suggested/In the page controller class itself/in a database such as mysql for dynamic pages.

It is entirely your choice depending on how flexible you want your framework to be.

hope this helps

i like the idea of adding the route in the page controller or even in the view page itself

$route->add_route('news/test');

but the problem there is that the front controller would load the page controller, method and display the page before you could compare route with url

I would use an extended class that would basically create the functionality of a static controller. The interface should already be defined by its parent abstract class.

For example, you could have a controller object for web requests, which would have every method needed for extracting the input data from the client request.

Then another for remote commands, by shell for ex, which would hold everything needed for getting arguments passed via a command line.

You could even further extend the web request controller to add certain Hard Coded (independent of mod-rewrite) "friendly URL" formats.

hope this helps

well here is my font controller im working on:

<?php

class Front_Controller
{
protected $_controller;
protected $_request;
protected $_route;
protected $_inflect;

public function __construct()
{
	$this->_request = new Request;
	$this->_route   = new Router($this);
	$this->_inflect = new Inflection;

$this->_request->get_request();

$controller_name = $this->_request->get_controller_name();

$controller      = ucfirst($controller_name) . '_Controller';
	$model           = '_' . $controller_name;

$this->_controller = new $controller;
	$this->$model      = new Model($this);
}
}
?>

and this is where i would make sure the route is correct dispatch the page controller and load the action

but im still a bit unclear where i would add a route (in the page controller)?

$this->_controller = new $controller;

Would imo be

$this->_controller = new $controller($this->_route);

Because in PHP, objects are by default, passed by reference, any object manipulation from a sub class will reflect the class that was passed from, and that goes bettween sub-classes also. So all your classes and subclasses can technically "juggle" the same class, in this case: _route.

In your Controller object your constructor would be similar to:

<?php
class Sometest_Controller {

private $_route;

public function __construct(Router $_route_object){
	$this->_route = $_route_object;
	// ...
}
}

hope this helps

ok i see and would i add the route in the method (page)?

<?php
class Sometest_Controller {

private $_route;

public function __construct(Router $_route_object)
{
$this->_route = $_route_object;
}

protected function news_atricles()
{
// so url will look like domain.co.uk/news/articles
$this->_route->add_route('news/articles');
}

Yes each page the controller (or some ancillary page control object) loads will be passed to that page object/page (depending how you code your pages).

To me this is the most efficient way of passing instantiated objects between each other in PHP 5 - And imo more secure (either from clients or developers) than instantiating objects every use or using global objects.

hope this helps

what about if i just set my attributes in my class to public so i can just get the route instance from there?

<php class Front_Controller
{
     public $_route;

public function __construct()
    {
          $this->_route = new Router;
          ...load controller etc
    }

}

class Page_Controller
{
    public function new_articles()
{
     $this->_route->add_route("route here");
}
}

would that be good or considered as bad practice

(Guessing that page extends front)

Well, it gives rise to a "risk" of bad code, for instance;

A Developer creates a main class "String_Sort". (This will sort one string, the string will be treated as an object itself)

There are 2 child classes "Display" and "Sort".

There is an external class required by "Sort" called "String".

Display doesn't need to use the string object, and shouldn't as it has one task: to display an object. Imagine that String is the object of a simple string.

String_Sort is an object that will actually reverse the string.

Display will Display a String.

Sort will reverse an object's string.

Flow:

String_Sort(String){

protected String; // or even protected, same results/implications)
Sort() [extends String_Sort]{
	parent->String->reverse(parent->String);
	// No return needed, the string is modified directly
}
Display() [extends String_Sort]{
	parent->String->reverse(parent->String); // Problem, reversed twice, developer may not know about the above reverse code, he knows though that he has access directly to the string, he also knows the original string needs to be reversed. So he reverses, none the wiser that another developer has already implemented the reverse.

echo(parent->String);
}
}

This is the problem of protected, not to mention public objects within objects. With a team of web programmers you want to give them specific guidelines on which to code and how to interact with other objects. This way there is uniformity and it can be expressed much more easily with graphs and (other people) finding and fixing bugs.

The object is goign to be a dependancy of the child class that uses it no matter what, passing it via the instantiation not only abstracts the name of the parent property but also prevents other developers from mis-using certain objects.

I hope this makes sense ;) (and helps)

thank you for your help and time you've really helped alot...i understand how the methd i explained wouldnt be so good...and i'll start to use private instead of protected....but when i comes to me using my View class and when i  call to set_variables()  in my Page_Controller i'd have to send the view object across in the constuctor like the routing object as you've exlained?...and that would be the best way?...thanks again

or of course i could write a wrapper in my Front_Controller

<?php class Front_Controller
{
    public function add_route($route)
   {
        $this->_route->add_route($route)
   }
}

and do the same with the $this->_view->set_variable (create a wrapper) ?

The View should be abstracted from the code.

The Front controller by the looks of it will be your "runtime", So dependancies in there will be the entire website/object base your using. Passing Every Object to it from your Load class (instantiates/sets up the objects for use) should be fine as it is your base/runtime code.

From there you would use the passed view class by getting the result object (which would have an interface to keep things easy to maintain/use) from the page and passing that to the view class. Which would then interact with the Page object passed to it using the interface methods alone, create its templates etc and display etc.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.