Please take a look a t my first site

fixxxer

hi,

Ive just finished my first site at http://www.pokerprofile.co.uk please feel free to take a look and let me know.

I know the design dont look brilliant at the moment so if any one can offer some advice id be gratefull. also some of sections still aren't finished.

Also if you have an crictism feel free. If you can offer some ideas of how i can solve them as well that would be brilliant.

And finally if you like poker feel free to register.

First impression, what is the point in the site.  I see nothing on the index page that tells me anything. It's very white.  Nothing breaks the site apart. The login box is floating, the logo is blurry. None of the links seem to really work. It is very bland and doesn't really do anything for me. 

[quote author=jcombs_31 link=topic=110339.msg445966#msg445966 date=1159882026]
First impression, what is the point in the site.  I see nothing on the index page that tells me anything. It's very white.  Nothing breaks the site apart. The login box is floating, the logo is blurry. None of the links seem to really work. It is very bland and doesn't really do anything for me. 
[/quote]

Thanks for that, you are right about what you said, Explaining what the site does i can do and add.  Do u have any recommendations about the design and layout. anything advice u can offer would be appeciated

[quote author=fixxxer link=topic=110339.msg445983#msg445983 date=1159883141]
[quote author=jcombs_31 link=topic=110339.msg445966#msg445966 date=1159882026]
[/quote]

I'd start by looking at those things I mentioned in my previous post.  Add some color, some seperation of content, some content, something to hold it together, fix the logo...

Thanks for that, you are right about what you said, Explaining what the site does i can do and add.  Do u have any recommendations about the design and layout. anything advice u can offer would be appeciated
[/quote]

[quote author=brown2005 link=topic=110339.msg446700#msg446700 date=1159976900]
i think it would look better with the username and password to the far right....

and with the Register An Account and Reasons to Register underneath...

maybe they could be place on a blue bar or something... (blue beeing the color scheme)......
[/quote]

thanks for that, i think that is what i will do, also thanks for all the advice, im going to make the changes and ill post it again then. Thanks everybody

Hey again, Ive made some changes to the site as some of you recommended, and would appreciate if you would take a look again, especially the people who made comments before as id like to get your opinion on the changes.

Thanks again for the advice, im aware that i still have some way to go and ive haven't put a proper description of what the site does in the index yet cos im still not sure what to write but have a click round and see where ive gone wrong

thanks

TBH, it does not look that different. I have a problem with the big column of whitespace on the homepage - the other pages seem to sort this out well.
And it doesnt validate.

You just need to work out a proper layout to give everything containment. some places you have far too much whitespace, some places you don't have any.

So it's not bad -  just needs some work to liven things up a bit.

in case you don't know what containment is (marky mentioned it), it means dividing your content.  right now nothing in particular grabs your eye, and nothing in particular is in its own section.  the eye wanders around the page looking for something, ANYTHING to settle on, and usually by the time it does it's chosen a totally random and useless segment of the page.  the page is very white, as others have mentioned, and so the first thing i was drawn towards were the ads, since they had some colour.  while that may be good for money, it's not good for your site because you no longer hold the main focus of the user.

as the others said, try adding some containment (some borders, some divisors, background changes, etc) and a little more colour.  ideally you should get a dark colour in there somehow.  i get a horizontal scrollbar in firefox on windows, which at 1152x864, is pretty silly.  obviously some CSS discrepancies which as marky mentioned, validation might help in fixing.

i'll finish off by saying it certainly could be much worse.  you're not done, but you're not at square one.

Okay thanks again for all the advice, TBH designing a site is not somthing im particulary good at and Ive only just learned css so all the advice was invaluable, so ill try and make some change and sort the firefox thing out and then show it again. Hopefully im getting closer. lol

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.