working with .php files.

Ninjakreborn

does this help?

$infile = fopen("myfile.txt", "r") // as readonly
while (!feof($infile))
{
$buffer = fgets($infile, 2048); // or $buffer = fread($infile.....
}
fclose($infile);

// do whatever you want

$outfile = fopen("mynewfile.txt", "w") // open writeable
fwrite($outfile, $buffer)
fclose ($outfile);

cheers,
tdw

[code]$infile = fopen("myfile.txt", "r") // as readonly
while (!feof($infile))
{
}
fclose($infile);

// do whatever you want

$outfile = fopen("mynewfile.txt", "w") // open writeable
fwrite($outfile, $buffer)
fclose ($outfile);[/code]
Now to break this down.
So the open, that is opening the file as read only.  I got that part.
Then
[code]while (!feof($infile))
{
}[/code]
I can look up end of file function on php.net, but what would the difference be in fgets and file_get_contents
Which would be better Also what is the 2048,
I appreciate the help so far, thanks.
It looks like the top part opens the file, saves the info in a variable.
then closes the file
then it attempts to oepn another file, if one doesn't exist then obviously it creates it, then it writes that information to it, and that's it right.

hi

well [color=blue]fread[/color] reads a total amount up to length, and [color=blue]fgets[/color] reads it line by line

so if you want to read it all in one go you can use
[code]$buffer = fread($infile, filesize("myfile.txt")); // or use a variable for the filename[/code]

or to only read a portion of it you can specify the number of bytes to read: (2kbs in this example)
[code]$buffer = fread($infile, 2048); // or use a variable for the filename[/code]

or to read the file line by line so you can deal with each line while reading it, you use fgets and specify the number of bytes to read (in that line): (2kbs in this example)
[code]$buffer = fgets($infile, 2048); // or use a variable for the filename[/code]

i dont know about [color=blue]get_file_contents[/color]

and then yes, the "w" in fopen means will attempt to create it, so check your permissions in the folder

[code]$outfile = fopen("mynewfile.txt", "w")[/code]

cheers,
tdw

Well I did some modifications, I am going to have to instead carry all of this information over into paypal's IPN, and then do all this stuff there I think.  I will have to store the text, and template they choose into a session, and let the stuff that comes back from paypal deal with it.  I can only hope that when paypal sends the ipn back to the script that I can have the sessions available to do what I need.  If not, I can pass it all through paypal, I think that would be the best time to do all of this, so I can have a full system built.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.