how do you manage your site versions?

ohdang888

Just curious here:

Say a site has a good amount of users on it. Clearly, development is still going on in a private "beta" version of the site somewhere where the developers write code and test it out.

But what tools/methods do people use to manage their site versions? Once their revisions are stable, how do they roll that out to users? I myself simply replace files manually, etc. But i'm assuming there's some pretty useful tools out their that can facilitate this.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

You need to use source contol software to manage your versions. One of the more popular free programs is subversion.

This allows you to make a repository for your code from where developers can check the code out to work on it. The benifit of this is it stops the code being overwritten by accident . Also every change is logged so if you roll up and new version an it goes wrong you can easily roll backto the last version.

Have a look at:

http://subversion.tigris.org/

Site versions are managed with release planning. On each iteration you decide what features will be built in the software. At the end of an iteration and prior to the actual release, you have a deployment procedure which depends on the project and your hardware architecture (it may be as simple as a SCM push to your GIT/Mercurial repo). Sometimes the release procedure is more involved and you have to do some manual editing like minifying JS and CSS files. The actual release is usually done overnight.

Just make changes on the live site.

Have a backup system so you can restore and files that get screwed up.

I disagree. Users might be on it, and i risk missing a simple ";" and screwing over important pages. While i may not have tons of users on the site at one time, they're still paying for the services i have on the website. So its my responsibility that I limit the risk of the services not working.

Version control systems like SVN are good for managing development, but I don't really like having all the .svn files on a production box.  I usually deploy with a bash script for simple deployments, and a deployment tool like ANT or Phing for anything more complex than a simple copy.

Just make changes on the live site.

Have a backup system so you can restore and files that get screwed up.

If you have credit card data on your system, this process would violate at least 4 of the 12 requirements for PCI compliance, and probably more than that in practice.  Same goes for any other regulated industry, like medical or financial. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.